Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rockstar

The view from my apartment isn't that special. It doesn't include those famous San Francisco landmarks, like the Golden Gate Bridge, or Alcatraz, or Coit Tower. However, it does provide a cascading sweep of the colorful houses that flank Russian Hill. And when the sun is shining on a Saturday morning, I awake to my glorious city beckoning me outside.

So early this afternoon, after a little laziness and a little more coffee, I got out of my apartment and onto my bike. Down the street towards The Bay, and then on towards The Bridge, I climbed and I cruised. Out of the city and into Marin...

I have lived here for over a year and a half, now. And I have been inspired by the beauty of San Francisco since the first evening on which I drove into the city. But the city was different, today.

Or maybe I was different today. I struggled less climbing Marin Headlands. And I paniced less descending down the hills. I didn't tip over at the stop lights, either. I powered through the entire ride, feeling strong and confident. And it felt great.

Back home, 30 miles and a couple hours later, I looked at the note on my desk my roommate left for me after our last ride a couple of weeks ago. I didn't believe it at the time, but after today's ride, I am starting to believe.
"I'm very proud of you for being such a rock star in all of your new adventures. It's not easy to push beyond your comfort zone - most people never do - and you're killing it."
Thanks, AER, for your continued support. I couldn't imagine doing this without you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Forlani!