Monday, December 31, 2007

You Live, You Learn

Don't get me wrong. It has been an exciting, amazing year.

I learned how to snowboard. This past year, in North Lake Tahoe, I learned how to navigate a mountain with both feet buckled into a board that is 144 cm in length. And I even learned how to stop!

I also learned how to swim in open water. In a wet suit. And I learned - all over again - how to ride a bike. And I'll tell you, it is nothing like it was when I was a kid. I also learned how hard running a 10K can be. Especially after you have already swam a mile and cycled 25 before running it. So, yes, I more or less learned how to triathlon this past year.

I learned how to backpack. To trek for miles and miles up and down mountains with 30 pounds strapped to my back. I learned how to pitch a tent and how to purify water for drinking. I learned how good campsite coffee tastes, and even more important, how good a campsite swig of Crown Royal can be.

This year, I learned how important - to me - it is to always try new things. No matter how scar they may seem. In 2007, I learned to take a deep breath and go for it. No matter what. Because - and perhaps this is the most important lesson I learned this past year - it always feels pretty amazing to do something I never thought I could do.

I learned how to love again, this year. I re-learned how happy a big hug and a forehead kiss can make me. And I re-learned how wonderful a night on the couch listening to music and talking really is. I almost forgot how nice it is to love and be loved...

2007. A year of no limits, learning, and love. Happy New Year.

2 comments:

a.maria said...

hey lady! happy new year!

running42k said...

Happy New year to you Nic and all the best in 2008.