Sunday, March 09, 2008

Brick Wall

I haven't been consistently posting. Or training, for that matter. But I haven't been all that inconsistent, either. (And I cherish those small victories!)

Yesterday I completed my first brick workout of the season. And by the end of it, I felt not so much like a Brick House, but more like a Brick Wall. I completed a 42 mile ride (Paradise Loop) and followed it up with a 4.25 mile run.

The ride was great. I finished Paradise Loop - lots of rolling hills - in 2:40. And I felt fabulous, even climbing those last few annoying hills up Polk Street to get back home. And while the run wasn't terrible, it make me contemplate why I tell everyone I like triathlon so much.

Because yesterday's run felt like barely a jog. A pretty grueling four miles. And throughout all 39 minutes of it, I thought about how I'm a much better swimmer when I don't have to be in open water. A much better biker when it doesn't follow a swim. A much better runner when it doesn't follow a ride.

On the other hand, if I really gained so much pleasure from only doing things that I was good at doing, I probably wouldn't have learned to swim and ride and run in the first place. So, I guess it is time to sack up and bulldoze down this brick wall. I have some triathlons that I don't want to just finish, but finish well. With strength. And smiles.

2 comments:

running42k said...

Welcome back, keep training and a belated happy birthday.

Unknown said...

hey! think about adding santa barbara to your calendar. the long course (1mi/34mi/10mi) is great with great support. and, well, it's sb. talk about a great late season tri get-away...