Friday, February 02, 2007

Staying Power

Except for a few of my friends from college, therapy, at least on the East Coast, is still something many people don't embrace.

However in San Francisco, it seems that almost everyone I know has a therapist. And why not? They have general practitioners to monitor their cholesterol. OBGYNs to routinely check-in and make sure all is well. Personal trainers to make them stronger. Cosmetic surgeons to improve their aesthetic appearance. (OK, that's more of an L.A. thing...)

And over the past few months, it has been pretty amazing to learn just how many people also see a therapist. To monitor their stress. And to make sure they stay well. Balanced, and strong. Not to mention, good looking / looking good...

I feel very lucky to live in an environment where so many of my friends embrace mental health. Their unconditional support the past several months has empowered me to confront so many of my personal challenges with confidence. And this past month, I have realized that I am really starting to feel great. I feel happy. And energized. And good.

A couple of times this month, I have started to wonder if maybe I am "done" with therapy. But after some thought, and after reading this article, I have come to the realization that mental health, just like physical health, has no final destination. I may lower my cholesterol. My pulse. My stress. And I may increase my strength. My speed. My energy. I may one day find the most amazing tooth whitening toothpaste ever. But if I don't continue to work at maintaining these accomplishments, I will surely lose them. My stress level will go back up. My muscles will atrophy. I will surely again grow tired.

So I'm not going to stop going to therapy. As the article suggests, "Perhaps seeing a therapist when you’re in a healthy mental place will actually increase the odds that you’ll stay there."

Ah, staying power. Give it a read... http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22189/23422

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Long post...

I just want to say...SWEET BOARD.

Have u crave this year yet?? I went last Sun and the weather and snow was perfect. Me and my buddy decided to take a scenic route and go into the woods..not so smart...I hugged a pole coming back out ....a lot of pain but I can't stop laughing (b/c it's the stupidiest thing I have ever done).

As for therapy..i. never go to one.but I do have a number of ppl whom i disclose my personal self. Some are friends and a few are mentors.

What i see though is that everything connect with each other..if you are mentally well, you wil be physically well. Meaning your chelostrela will stay down and most important your mind will be more at peace.

mouse said...

great article, and such brilliant points that were made.

thank you, Nic. you, with just this post, just made me rethink my stance on going back to counseling.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I had a wonderful therapist when I lived in St Louis that I talked to regularly and after my mom died I tried to find a therapist for me but no luck. Keep up the good work and stay healthy.

Dad said...

Dad said ... I think the West Coast is more into therapy because -- that is where the people who need threrapy live! Ha ha ha ... JK ... Love, Dad
I can only guess what your response to this post will be ... actually, I really don't need to guess at all. Love again, Dad