Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tipping Point

October 2007. The month I racked up close to 30,000 frequent flyer miles flying back and forth from Europe to Philadelphia to San Francisco to Philadelphia to San Francisco to Chicago to San Francisco. I lived in a hotel for four weeks. I never knew what time it was. And I didn't sleep much.
October 2007. I arrived in Philadelphia to find my grandmother in the hospital. At her side, my mother - the strongest woman I know. Ten days later, I watched my grandmother take her last breath. And I cried harder than I have in a long, long time. I cried that type of cry that forbids you to breathe. I hugged my mom a lot in October.

October 2007. I regularly pulled fourteen hour days. I once left a meeting to take a nap. And I officially dropped every possible ball there was to drop. I dug deep. Sometimes I apologized and sometimes I pointed fingers. I cracked, but I am picking up the pieces and putting them back together.

October 2007. I consumed most meals while standing up, in a rental car, or at an airport. The other meals I inhaled at odd hours of the day and charged to an expense account. I didn't eat vegetables or anything else that was remotely healthy. I drank a lot of coffee. And wine. I didn't run more than 5 times. Nor did I bike at all. I swam once. And I gained six pounds.

October 2007. I put everthing else first. Family. Clients. Colleagues. Projects.

I have again reached a tipping point. It seems to happen each October, doesn't it? A personal realization that I need to focus on my OWN personal priorities. That I need to dedicate time to myself. To my own well being.

To sleeping eight hours a night.
To eating avocado and tofu and fish and lentils.
To swimming, and riding, and running.
To getting outside and enjoying San Francisco.
To staring at my ceiling.
To reading my book of the month.
To watching as many episodes of The Office as I want.
To late night conversations with AER.
To hugs...

Yes, it happens every October. Which means that November is my new favorite month...

1 comment:

walchka said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope Nov. is all that you want it to be!

Take care of yourself ya hear. ;)