Sunday, January 14, 2007

California Girl

Deep down, I'll always be an East Coast Girl. Particularly, one with roots in the Mid-Atlantic. I'll always walk at a quicker pace than the rest of the crowd. I'll always tell a story in half the time it takes my friend from Richmond, Virginia to relay it. I'll always roll my eyes at the cheesesteaks, pizza, and bagels sold in every state other than Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.

But California - and in particular, San Francisco - has really rubbed off on me, I have to admit. Yesterday morning, I ordered an Avocado and Cheese omelette for breakfast. I just got back from running an errand and heard myself mutter, "It's effing COLD out!" (Please note that the outside temperature is 48 degrees.)

Furthermore, I've noticed that I no longer jump crosswalks. Why start crossing the street without the walk signal, just to risk getting hit by a car in order to cut 5 seconds from my travel time? Time is on my side! What's the rush? According to my new outlook, everything gets done. Eventually.

Believe it or not, I roughly drove my car no more than fifteen times in 2006, and 5 of those times were when my family came to visit me. (1 - To SFO, 2 - To Ocean Beach, 3 - From Ocean Beach, 4 - To Napa, 5 - From Napa.) Also during the past year, I received 2 parking tickets ($80) and was once towed ($300). Add in $1000 for car insurance, and the hours spent circling for a parking spot, and it is very easy to conclude that owning my very own car is far from priceless.

So I'm selling! I spent today scheduling appointments for people to check out my car, which I recently posted as FOR SALE on SF Craigslist.org.

Once I sell, I'm going to take the funds buy a road bike and a snowboard. A trade-in that my co-worker, also an East Coast transplant, says completes my transformation from a Philly Hoe (kidding!) to a California Girl...

Sounds good to me, but I think I forgot to start surfing, so I'll get working on that.

9 comments:

Runner Susan said...

cheese adn avocados are my two favorite foods. am so hungry right now.

good for you for selling your car! i admire that.

running42k said...

"I wish they all could be California Girls"

Good luck on the car sale.

Joe said...

Are you going to dye your hair blonde too? ;-)

Cliff said...

u selling your car to get a bike?

hardcore :)

Laurie said...

Sounds like you are the perfect mix of both East Coast girl and California girl.

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... Arrgghhhh .... Cheese and Avocado???? After all the omelettes I cooked for you --- you eat Cheese and Avocado????? Oh the shame ... and also, since when is 48 degrees cold? I am still in shorts and short sleeved shirt at 48 degrees on the golf course. Should I mention what color your hair was when you were just a toddler???? As always, Love Dad. P.S. I support your decision to sell the car for a bike and snow board. P.P.S. Just found out that another "Beatle" group will be in the area in February -- so I may be going to my 2nd "Beatle Concert" in a couple of weeks. Mom is thrilled!

Anonymous said...

Dad says .. I forgot ... did you at least order Scrapple with that Cheese and Avoccado omellette?

Mike said...

Nic,
Funny stuff (except for the parking tickets / towing $$ OUCH ). Selling a car to buy a bike and snowboard- I knew you had your priorities straight!!

Re: the surfing in NorCal- great waves but alot of "sea-life" out there that always kept me pretty jumpy out there! Can you hear the Jaws theme song!? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great transformation.