Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Warming Up

Here's a surprise - I'm not too fond of doing things that I'm not good at. Hold the phone, I know. I really hate being bad at anything, so quite often, I just completely avoid those things that I'm bad at.

Enter The Year of Yes, and I can no longer run from these deficiencies. These perceived weaknesses.

Yes, in The Year of Yes, not only am I putting on a bathing suit - more than once a week! - I am also donning a cap and goggles. I'm jumping into the pool. Taking a breath, going under, and pushing off. I kick and crawl and flip and turn... And to date, I haven't drowned.

It's not that I can't swim. I spent a good few years on a swim team when I was growing up. Practicing twice a day - 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Diving in, swimming laps, and getting out. Diving in, swimming laps, and getting out. Staring at the black line, waiting for the "T", and then doing a somersault. Staring at the black line again.

The fact that I'm willingly subjecting myself to the monotony of swimming is appauling.

And the fact that I just might be warming up to it... well, that's just an example of what can happen when you start saying YES.

Today's Stats:
Type: Swim
Distance: 1 Mile
Time: Too long...

4 comments:

running42k said...

Go Nic. The year of Yes and the Year of Nic, that is what I hope 2007 is. Good luck to your Eagles this weekend. I think they are in tough against the Saints.

Cliff said...

1 mile of no drowning? Good stuff. Now u know how i feel :)

Laurie said...

I too avoid things I am not good at. Congrats on taking steps to meet those challenges head on. You will become a stronger person because of it, emotionally and physically.

Trisaratops said...

Yay!

So addicting...maybe?

Damn, I wish I could head to Wildflower! so. jealous.