Friday, November 04, 2005

Card Me

I often wonder how old children and teenagers who pass me on the street think I am. Because I don't think I could conceptualize being 25 when I was a child.

For the life of me, I can't remember ever wanting to be anything but a 14 year old when I played House or School or Office or Barbie. I always wanted to be 14. I wanted to be in eighth grade, I wanted to have braces, and I wanted to wear a training bra. I think once or twice I wanted to be 19. Not because I would be away at college by then - who played College as a child? I simply loved eating Kellog's Product 19 cereal.

But I daresay I never imagined being 20. Or 21, even. Let alone 25. Well, not unil I was 19, anyway.

Do children see me and think I'd be a cool babysitter? Or do they see a grown-up? When I smile at a cute little kid and he runs away is it because I'm old enough to be a STRANGER and someone he shouldn't talk to? Or Trust? Am I the crazy lady who may put razor blades in his Halloween candy?

Do teenagers see me and think I'm another teenager? I'm short enough.
And although I'm starting to notice lines around my eyes, I do have a young face. Or do they think I might old enough to buy them beer? Or old enough to at least buy them cigarettes?

I guess that little biotch at United Artists in Arlington who carded me when I went to see Sideways obviously thought I was about 16. Not even 17? At 25 I don't even look like I'm 17? What 17 year old girl goes to a movie by herself? On a Sunday? Without make-up?

For a while I was slightly upset about that carding fiasco. Getting carded was getting old. But m
y new California driver's license arrived yesterday. I must say it is my favorite license of all time. I've had PA, VA, and DC now, and CA is definitely the best. No, I don't think it has anything to do with my long hair, tan skin, or Glamour Shot photo. Although those qualities do help. This IS my best license picture by far. Must be something in the air...

I wish you all could be a California Girl.

7 comments:

Jay said...

I've already hit my quarter-life crisis so being carded wouldn't be half-bad for my ego.

R.E.M. Borja said...

I still get carded in bars depending on what I'm wearing. I'm 29. I'm also Filipino, and I think Asians tend to look younger than their age.

Yeah, I'm old.

Anonymous said...

Dad says .... oh to be 25 again ... actually, I always wanted to be 21 to 25 -- in that range -- still do by the way -- and not because of what you think.... It is because of the cash flow and lack of big debts -- you know like houses, children, etc. It's always about the cash flow! Love, Dad P.S. You were worth every penny.

a.maria said...

omg get this. in college, my sophomore year, my parents came to visit me. they took me and my then-boyfriend, Architecture Guy, to dinner.

they call our name, we walk up to the Hostess, she looks at me, turns to my parents and asks "is she going to need a children's menu?"

I WAS A SOPH. IN FRIGGIN COLLEGE. i was floored. of course THEY thought it was hysterical. jerks!

then. and i'm so not kidding. a few months later Architecture Guy and i went to dinner on a saturday night to this italian restaurant. i'm SO NOT KIDDING when i say they asked him if i needed a kids menu.

like some college guy is taking out his little sister, at like 8pm on a friday, to some nice italian dinner?

wtf?!?!?!?!

so. basically... i feel your pain with the carding issue.

brent said...

i got carded for an R movie when i was in college. i look young but honestly, to get carded for a movie when you are in your 20's makes you want to give the kid wearing the movie uniforma a swift beat-down. i got carded tonight at a nice restaurant with my date. actually, she got carded first but maybe it was because of me. oh well.

Unknown said...

I know it too. I haven't really lived in the US since I was 25 so getting carded is kind of a thing of the past. You see in Europe and in Canada they could basically care less. I've yet to be carded and really I never really carried my id around. But in the US that is a different story. I often wonder if many people still think I'm 19. Seeing I'm hitting 30 in just a few months, I sure hope not. Oh well, at least we look young. And you'll be liking that later on in your life!

Katie said...

i loved this ending!