Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Growth

I have certainly done a lot of growing the past few months. Packing up my apartment in DC. Driving my car through the middle of Texas. Sitting alone on the beach staring out at the Pacific Ocean. Going to that party alone, not knowing anyone. Pushing myself through Mile 22 of the Nike Marathon. And then carrying myself all the way up the hill back home.

Last night, a little after midnight, I realized that in my life I tend to do the most growing while perched over the toilet on all fours puking my guts out. I have learned how capable I am of taking care of myself when I have to go get myself a glass of water, the thermometer, the ginger ale, the tea, the toast, the soup, a new trash can for my room because I actually didn't make it to the toilet...

Of course I always follow these growth spurts with tears and moans for my Mommy.

One step forward, two steps back...

5 comments:

Donald said...

A lot of philosophers say that suffering causes enlightenment. I don't know if they were talking about hangovers, though!

a.maria said...

oooouughewww. grody! i hate hangover pukey clean-up.

nast! :)

Nades said...

Interesting how people assumed this was a hangover.

Nic said...

Yeah, everyone sure skipped over the word THERMOMETER.

It's just that so many of my other posts reveal that I'm really fun...

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... I saw the post and figured you were sick -- it must be biological -- I did see thermometer but it didn't register until I saw your post. I too wasn't feeling well on Sunday -- but it had nothing to do with E A G L E S -- they suck and so does T.O. Love, Your Brother once removed.