Monday, December 12, 2005

Crapshoot

I know I should have called him. But if I did, how would I have ever found out if he would have called me? And I know I should not have played any games. But without one, how was I ever going to find my way through this way too straightforward relationship?

When you boil it all down, dating is really no more than one big game. Right? The more I think about them, the more I marvel at how suprisingly accurate are the Theories of LCJ. Slurring-ly dispelled to me on a balcony in Charlottesville - in between sips of a Nattie Light and drags of a Marlboro - she taught me one of the most important lessons of college: Love is a Crapshoot. (It is also a battlefield, but that lesson was taught while standing in beer sludge inside a fraternity basement, NOT on a balcony...)

And so by not calling, I found out. By playing a game I got my bearings. Since he always bought dinner, the only money I lost during this crapshoot was on a couple cups of coffee. And the emotional wounds from this battlefield are relatively small. They can be healed with a small band-aid.

I am sad. But willing to anti-up again. Not willing to bet hard sixes that he'll call again, but I'll venture a bet on the pass line. Because thing best thing about craps is that the house advantage actually isn't that terribly out of wack. In the short run, we CAN win at craps, and hopefully, in love.


6 comments:

a.maria said...

*sigh* i'm with you on all accounts. i'm in the middle of my own game with the dude on the 3rd floor.

ARGH. boys are just.....DUMB!

so what'd i do? i baked a friggin cake to make myself feel better. what am i living in the 50's? who bakes cakes?

oy.

Okolo said...

Just found your blog today, did you go to UVa?

CLAS '94 (hmm, does that make me old?)

Okolo said...

Okay, I guess I could take two seconds to look around, so you did.

Wahoowa.

Unknown said...

Men in SF just plain suck! I found that out and vowed never to go out with another american again. I guess that's why I've found my straight shooting hunk up here in Canada. :)

Spikey1 said...

Right on! Plenty of straight shooting hunks up here in Canada ;)

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... I didn't know you played craps!?!?! I have a couple of nice books for you to read when you come home for Christmas.