Monday, January 30, 2006

Red Lights Flashing

It’s dark. Rain is falling, but it drops so lightly that it could easily be mistaken for a thick fog. For the first few blocks it is very quiet. Almost too quiet. I make it to Polk Street and am greeted by the street lights, which are a soft yellow, and the flashing reds of the stop lights.

The only cars on the street belong to the street cleaners and delivery teams unloading pounds and pounds of fresh vegetables to the corner stores. Everyone is getting ready for another day.

I scurry from corner to corner, quickly looking both ways before I dodge across the intersections. I think about my upcoming run or spin class. Now that I'm out of bed, the hardest part of the workout is behind me. I develop my daily mental checklist of all I hope to accomplish before hitting the pillow at night.


During these moments, nothing stands in my way – not even a crosswalk. For these 15 minutes, the upcoming day, week, month, and year, are full of promise.

3 comments:

running42k said...

Well said but you still might want to check for oncoming traffic. I agree that there isn't much better then excercising first thing in the morning with the solitude.

Spikey1 said...

I have had so many close calls .. silly "runners high"

Unknown said...

Sounds like what I should be doing...but maybe I'll start a new leaf this month, new home, new everything... Great to see around Nic!