Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Empty Your Pockets Until They're Full

I can already feel it before I'm even there. The fear. The pain. And a little bit of dread. But mostly the fear. And as I get ready, the fear only mounts. I open that door and I feel the nervous energy take over. The heat is on. Literally. I swallow the fear that is perched at the back of my throat.

It starts and I am quickly reminded of why I come here. Because with every breath, I am a little bit taller. My head a bit higher, my shoulders less slouched. With every breath, I am a little more confident. A little more hopeful, with every breath. Less fragile; instead, more flexible, easygoing.

I am a little less afraid, with every breath.

Of the pain. In all its shapes and forms. That I am feeling right now and that which I feel all the time. I am a little less afraid of it. Because, I realize, it doesn't last. Not for long, forever. Once I let it in, I can confront it and allow it to pass. So that it ebbs and flows such that my tears well but then subside.

It hurts, it does. For 60 seconds or 60 months, either way. But we can come out of it. We do come out of it. We inhale deeply and we sigh slowly. And we release all that made us clench and twist and wince. We let go of the bite and the snap. We reach that point when we lick our lips and nod our head and move on.

For 90 minutes. For 90 years. We suck and we suck and we suck it all in. We hold it and carry it and too often, refuse to let it go. We strain and we wear down. We hold our breath and we purse our lips. Our hearts boom and we let them.

Until we burst. Until that time when our only remaining option is to let go. To blow it out. To blow it all out. Until there is nothing left. We sigh and we laugh and we cough and we sing and we scream and we sweat and we cry. Until there is nothing left. Until we are empty.

We empty our eyes and our minds and our mouths and our ears and our hearts. We give all that is left of ourselves. We don't stop for 60 seconds or 60 months. For 90 minutes or 90 years. We empty ourselves over and over and over again.

Until we are full.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautiful post Nic.

Triseverance said...

I really like that post. :)

Cliff said...

Great use of words...and stuff :)...

Spikey1 said...

Awesome.

Mike said...

Nic,
Very powerful and beautiful (ditto JK) ...I'm sure anyone who reads this post can totally relate. Regardless of the experience, we've all been there.

Dave said...

Wow...great post.

Habeela said...

Yeah, I needed to be reminded of that today. So true and so well said! :) Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Very poetic

Jessica DeLine said...

What a beautiful post!

miss petite america said...

it's isn't fair how well you can use words. it seriously isn't.