Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where (Heart and) Soul Meets (Mind and) Body

They talk to one another. Oh, sure. All the time. That much I know. But sometimes, I have no idea who initiates the conversations.

Since my body can't move without my mind sending it signals, I'm inclined to think that my mind is in charge. But I think The Body can take over sometimes. For the past three months, I think my body has been trying to control my mind. The result is that my boyd was telling my mind what to go back and tell my body. And what's worse is that my mind seems to have always been following orders!

Throughout the entire summer, my mind has known that it should have been running. And my mind knows how fast each run I actually did complete should have been ran. How long each run should have lasted. When to have pushed through and when to have pulled back. My mind KNOWS. She has done her research.

However, for an entire three months, my body - this LAZY body - has dominated the daily debate:
  • Run? Don't run?
  • Fast? Slow?
  • Give it your all? Give it all up?
My summer had more sit-at-homes than get-out-and-runs. More slowly-shlep-your-feets than swiftly-stride-and-step. More I-don't-want-tos than I-can-do-its. Yes, I'm pretty sure The Body was The Boss this summer.

I haven't been able to write much this summer. Again, it has been a couple of weeks since I last wrote. And while it is true that I haven't had a lot of time to say much, it is also true that I haven't had much to say. And while I'm sad that I haven't had a whole lot to say, I'm more sad about my lack of initiative to really do much about the situation. I didn't take very many steps to get my life back in order this summer. To be true to my priorities, and to make time for what really matters. Something that is both difficult and disturbing for me to admit.

...Today is September 26. SHIT! It's already the end of September. That fact is also both difficult and disturbing to admit, to realize; but it is also comforting. A new season, and a new start. (I know that the current season is autumn, and that autumn isn't normally used in metaphors for starting again, but have you ever seen a San Francisco autumn?) I am pretty that the fall air has inspired my my mind to again rn shop. And I think she's running pretty strong! Because we ran well today. Me and the roommie, AER. We ran to the Golden Gate Bridge and back, for 8 miles in 65 minutes. At an average pace of 8:07/mile. And we felt great.

It is a homecoming that is drastically past due, but nevertheless much appreciated. I am so glad to be back. To that place where my thoughts and actions collide, my intentions and responses synchronize. Where I do what's right instinctively. When my spirit begins to sing and my heart begins to dance. In that place where my heart and soul, along with my mind and body endure.

7 comments:

miss petite america said...

awesome post. i know EXACTLY how you feel.

Cliff said...

horray for fall... :)

Habeela said...

Welcome home! I think a lot of us are feeling the same way.

a.maria said...

i agree 100%.. fall to me is a new beginning. after a summer of... well, *life*.. fall is time to refocus, re-prioritize, and get back into the mindset that got the year going.

high five on a friggin awesome run, by the way... thats outta control!

Rich said...

How you all can run that pace always boggles my mind. I rationalize it away by assuming I'm carrying the equivalent of 2 sacks of potatoes compared to you, maybe 3 ;)

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... I think I know that body -- it must be some genetic mutation of my very own body that always says -- Exercise? Are you nuts? Let's go out and play some golf instead. Yep, I think I know that body. Love, Dad

Mike said...

Nic- nice post..I can definitely relate to the "I-don't-want-tos"!
Although you don't seem worse off with the break- solid run there!