Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Least Complicated

I think we always know what we're getting into. Deep down, we know.

It doesn't take much for that gut feeling to take shape. It comes together, and then sinks down, nice and low. So low sometimes that we can't feel it. We can't hear it. For the rest of the night, the weekend, or the month. Sometimes for two and a half years. Yes, sometimes we ignore it for that long. But all along, we know.

We know when we justify. And make excuses. And omit key details of stories to our friends. We know when we don't ask them to meet our parents. When we don't call. When they don't call. When we don't go to breakfast in the morning.

He asked for my number on Saturday. He emailed on Tuesday. And he called tonight. And tomorrow, we're... Do I have a date tomorrow night?

SHIT! What am I getting into?

Deep down, I don't know this time. On the surface, it's a little complicated. No, really, it is. Or is it? Deep down, does it really matter? I don't think it should. Maybe at first it will. But deep down, we all know. I mean, it's not that complicated. Number. Email. Call. "Date."

SHIT! I just GIGGLED!

The ones that work are always the least complicated. Hardest to learn, but least complicated.

6 comments:

Cliff said...

I find it the best when everything just flows...there is no expectation, no plan..just flows..

of course..the more i try not to think about it, the more i think about it, the less natural it becomes.. :)...dang i need a bike ride..or a run.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree ... you just know.

I love the line ... omit key details of stories to our friends ... have been guilty more than once

Spikey1 said...

Ahh, those were the days!

Brooke said...

Aww, I love first dates. Have a great time.

Kate said...

Ooh! Have a great time :-)

Anonymous said...

Details please... ;)