Tuesday, April 03, 2007

At Last

After thirty-one hours of travel, including three plane rides, two Tylenol PMs, and one Lunesta, I safely arrived in Marrakech at 9PM Local Time last night. I met up with LEF’s brother and sister-in-law at Heathrow, and together we were whisked away by a driver who transported us from the Marrakech airport and into Marrakech.

We arrived at Riad Blanc, LEF’s riad, after a twenty minute drive across town and through the Medina, Marrakech’s “downtown” labyrinth of small streets and alleys. LEF, as well as her mom and dad – who at times feel like my second mom and dad – were waiting to greet us.

I have never been so happy to see LEF in my entire life. Not even after her return from London, Second Year at UVA; or her return from Copenhagen, Third Year at UVA. Not after all of her return trips from Senegal during the two and a half years she was in the Peace Corps. And not even after I returned to the East Coast for the first time after moving to San Francisco, when she picked me up at Dulles Airport at 6:00 AM. Last night, amidst a sea of taxi cabs, motor bikes, wild cats, and Moroccans, I embraced LEF with the most love I have ever felt for her.

She looked beautiful. Smiling and excited, yet calm and composed amidst the chaos of the Medina. LEF has extensively traveled the world and spent many years living abroad. As I hugged her, it felt special to be spending my first time in Morocco – not to mention my first time in the continent of Africa – by her side.

After greeting the rest of LEF’s family, I headed over to check-in at my riad, Riad al Tainam. It was a short walk from Riad Blanc, but a series of many turns down dark streets and alleys. Upon my arrival I was greeted by our host, who had prepared a meal for everyone staying at the riad, all of whom had also traveled to Marrakech for LEF’s wedding. The girls staying here are a collection of friends from high school, college, and years in Washington, DC. I hadn’t seen some of them in over a year and a half, so it was a great reunion.

We feasted – and I do mean feasted – on traditional Moroccan foods for an elegant dinner. Tajine, couscous, etc. We were lucky to be offered wine with our meal, as well. (It is illegal to sell wine to Moroccans in Morocco, so our hosts at the riad were very proud to have obtained wine for us!) We told stories about LEF throughout all of our years knowing her – high school, college, Peace Corps, and post-Peace Corps in Washington, DC.

It was a wonderful way to kick-off the week’s celebration, and listening to everyone’s stories about our mutual friend really brought out the uniqueness of my relationship with this amazing woman. We have been friends for over ten years, now; and our friendship has thrived across oceans and continents. We have grown up together, and figured out who we are together, despite often being apart.

And now she is getting married… and I’m so glad that we get to share this experience together, in Marrakech.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Those are the kinds of friends you make sure you stay in touch with throughout the years, no matter how difficult things get. Looks like the trip's already a success despite the bumpy start (re: missed flight). Have fun!

Brooke said...

What an amazing experience. Enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... I took a tour of the "Riad al Tainam" and it is very impressive http://www.riadaltainam.com/ ... Love, Dad

a.maria said...

we want pictures!