Friday, April 06, 2007

A Toast: To Best Friends Forever

I first met LEF when we were 13 years old and on the soccer field. We were in eighth grade at the time. I have to admit – it was not best friendship at first sight. LEF scared me to death! Even at thirteen, LEF was confident and opinionated. And throughout her entire life, LEF has always known what she wanted; furthermore, she has never been bashful about going after it. I was a little directionless back then, so this confidence really intimidated me.

LEF and I sat next to each other in AP Chemistry, during our senior year in high school. She was energetic and talkative, and before I knew it, she had “instructed me” that I was to meet up with her to work on our labs and problem sets. Collaborating on homework quickly turned into partying after Fall Dance and talking on the phone. Actually, LEF always called me at 8:00 AM on the weekends… Funny how I remember things like that! But very quickly, this girl that I had known since I was thirteen, and with whom I had been cordial and friendly throughout all of high school, had become my best friend.

As luck would have it, both LEF and I decided to attend the University of Virginia, and honestly, I cannot imagine having gone away to college without her. At 18 years old, I had probably only left Philadelphia a handful of times, and almost always to the same place – Myrtle Beach, SC – for an annual dance competition. At 18 years old, LEF, however, had already been to Europe. Her presence in Charlottesville was a welcome comfort.

Throughout college, LEF and I often did our own thing. We were in different schools, with different majors. We lived in different dorms, and we ended up pledging different sororities. We had different friends and different interests. Our paths, however divergent, always seemed to wrap back around and to again coincide, though. It has been the true beauty of our friendship. No matter where life has taken us, and even at 27 years old it has already taken us around the world, LEF continues to be my best friend.

I would not have had the courage to move to San Francisco without the support of LEF. She is my inspiration, showing me the beauty that we can find in being bold. The strength that we can find in being courageous.

LEF, I wish you and MAS a lifetime of bold, beautiful decisions stemming from the strength and courage you consistently demonstrate. I also wish you infinite moments of the softness and compassion that you and MAS have found in each other by falling in-love.

Happy Wedding, LEF. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers to your friendship! We never really realize how fast we become friends with the person we do not take into account. Now that your friend is getting married, I wish her good luck!