Saturday, April 07, 2007

Essaouira

I didn't get a lot of sleep in Marrakech. That is an understatement, actually. I didn't get any sleep in Marrakech, especially the night of the wedding.

So when we woke up on Thursday morning - EARLY - to head out to Essaouira, I was exhausted. And at the time, I didn't feel like piling into a van to make the trip. (If you've never heard of Essaouira, check out this posting from LEF herself.) However, the journey, which we were worried wouldn't happen at quite a few times Thursday morning, was well worth it, despite exhaustion, anxiety, and a long car ride.

Around 9:00 AM, 10 ladies exited Riad al Tainam lugging all of their luggage through the streets of Marrakech, almost a mile to Riad Blanc, where we were meeting the rest of the wedding guests. I've described the streets of Marrakech before - they are a little hectic - and 10 ladies pulling suitcases and lugging large bags full of purchases from the souks must have been an interesting sight for the locals.

My favorite cat-calls for the entire week are definitely, "Hello, Flower..." and "Fish and Chips!" both of which we heard quite often, as white women traveling alone DO stand out a bit in Marrakech. But ten white women dragging luggage almost a mile throughout the winding streets of the Medina DEFINITELY draw attention. I guess we looked Brittish, hence the calls of, "Fish and Chips!" Really, it was too funny.

After a brief meeting at Riad Blanc, we again lugged suitcases and bags a few blocks to where our vans were waiting for us. Getting our luggage into the vans was not an easy task, and getting our drivers to agree to drive us to Essaouira - three and a half hours away - proved more difficult than we had expected, given that reservations/plans had been made in advance. One van of 10 people had to unload all of their belongings after sitting in the van for about an hour because the driver decided - at the last minute - that he didn't really feel like driving to Essaouira, anymore.

(If only I didn't have to go to work because I didn't "feel like it" anymore...)

After a few negotiations, and likely the exchange of additional dhiram, we did get the transit situation settled. And after a quiet three and a half hours through the Moroccan country-side, which amazingly enough resembles I-10 along New Mexico and Arizona, we arrived in Essaouira.

I had been sleeping when we pulled into this beautiful, quaint beach town. When I opened my eyes the first sight I noticed was the sparkling Atlantic Ocean. Now, I've seen the Atlantic hundreds of times in my 27 years, but mostly from places like Ocean City, NJ or Myrtle Beach, SC. Until that moment, I had never seen the ocean from Africa; I must say, it gives a view of the Pacific from California a run for its money.

Essaouira, like Marrakech, is a city with winding narrow streets. However the chaos and intensity of Marrakech are replaced with peace and tranquility in Essaouira. There are cafes at which people sit sipping coffee for hours. The shopping is not quite as intense. In general, the town is relaxing. After an hour there I was already sad I was eventually going to have to leave.

We spent the day wandering the city, shopping, and getting lunch. We went to a fantastic restaurant for dinner, where I dined on Patiste aux Fruits de Mer. Basically a Moroccan chicken pot pie with seafood, only a bit more elegant, and definitely more delectable. The waiter kept the wine coming; the band, the music flowing. And after a dinner lasting nearly four and a half hours, we headed back to our riad.

Staying up all night talking. Making new friends. Tightening the bond with people I have already shared so many memories. It was an amazing night, a night that no one wanted to end. Because in the morning, I had to pack my bags and return to Marrakech so that I could catch a flight to London...

This trip to Morocco was made possible by life-long friendship and eternal love. In Marrakech and Essaouira, we both celebrated and again discovered these feelings. It was truly, an amazing journey and a perfect destination.

No comments: