Saturday, April 14, 2007

Just Keep Swimming

I obviously didn't do a whole lot of swimming in Marrakech... So this week, after nearly 10 days out of the pool, I tried to get back into the swimming groove.

Sadly, I have lost my rhythm.

Today wasn't as terrible as the past couple of days, though. I managed to swim a mile in 27 minutes, my normal time, and I only felt like throwing in the proverbial towell to drown twice. I think the only way I got through the workout was by humming to myself the famous lines of Dori from Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!"

I said those words to myself so many times that like Dori, I forgot where I was and what I was doing. And eventually, I had swam an entire mile, and I was finished. Success!

Swimming, despite its difficult nature, manages to clear my head. Sure, it clogs my ears, but a half hour underwater with nothing but my mantra really does help to drown out all of life's other noise...

So, if I can offer any other struggling swimmer any advice, it would be to "Just Keep Swimming."

No comments: