Monday, April 16, 2007

Trying to Tri

I woke up early on Sunday morning, determined to REALLY train for the upcoming Wildflower Triathlon that is only a few short weeks away. Seriously, I’m SO under-trained for this event. Compared to how much time and energy I invested in my past marathons and half marathons, I’m probably only ready for a 10K. Which is a total shame considering that prior to running a 10K on May 5 I’m also going to have to swim a mile and cycle through 25.

So Sunday I woke up and headed to the pool.

(That’s right, the pool. Because I still have yet to purchase the wet suit I was going to purchase before my trip to Morocco. Because my week was rearranged when I had to go to Chicago for work. And after being “back” in San Francisco, I’m again in Chicago. So ridiculous… Anyway, I’m hoping to buy that wetsuit this week, and once I do, I’ll take her for a swim in The Bay ASAP. But I digress…)

I walked the mile and a half to the pool on Sunday morning, swam a pretty decent mile and then walked a mile and a half back home. I traded my tight Speedo bathing suit for some sausage sucking cycling shorts and hopped onto my bicycle for a spin over the Golden Gate Bridge, up to the top of Marin Headlands, and then down into Sausalito before turning around and heading back home.

For the first time EVER, I really felt like I dominated my bike ride. There were no falls. No mishaps with my pedals. I was only passed by some cyclists who truly looked bad ass, despite climbing some of the most challenging hills. Sure, I panted and chugged water and felt like I was totally out of shape at the crest of each hill, but I managed to regain control of my breathing as soon as the road flattened… just in time to start climbing again, most of the time!

And I have to admit, both my swimming and cycling really are getting better. It’s just that I don’t have a whole lot of time left before Wildflower! And I’ve yet to do a full practice triathlon. I had every intention of lacing up the Asics for a quick lap around the neighborhood after my ride yesterday, but I caught a glimpse of my couch when I returned my bike to my apartment and the urge to sit down and just stare at the ceiling was too strong to deny.

All of this activity plus travel is pretty tiring. Not a surprise, however.

So, I unfortunately ONLY completed a 1 mile swim and 30 mile ride yesterday. I know this workout was still substantial, and, well, decent. And I know that I still have quite a few opportunities to fit in additional training sessions before the race. All hope is not totally lost. And I am in respectable enough shape to confidently attempt to finish Wildflower. I just hope I don’t have to travel AGAIN the week before the race!

Oh, Triathlon Training. You are much more fun than Marathon Training. And I swear, I really am TRYING to Tri. Tri Training just doesn’t travel well! If only I could cram my bike and my pool into my suitcase the way I can always squeeze in my running shoes...

11 comments:

Spikey1 said...

If you need advise.. let me know, I did a try a tri... let me tell you,, I havent done one since. I will stick to marathons. Hello by the way.

running42k said...

Welcome back. Enjoy the training.

a.maria said...

lol. don't take advice from the "never did another one" guy!!! lol.

girl. i have an impossible time fitting it all in WITHOUT traveling. i def'ly have to give you props for finding time with everything else you do!

you're an awesome athlete. you're going to have so, SO much fun at wildflower, i'm sad i wont be there with you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Remember, to train less right before the event. You need to rest before it. Thanks!

Did I tell you about the Triathlon Forums.

Cliff said...

Something I figure out from tri-ing:

1) I bike faster after I swim.
2) I run faster after i bike.

Mike said...

Nic- dominating your bike ride? I like your attitude! ;-)

Make sure you lace up those shoes for even a quick 10-15 minutes of running post-ride at least a couple times before WF. You don't want your first run off the bike to be in the race!

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... I am 100% confident that you will do BETTER than you expect. Swim, swim, swim, ride, ride, ride, run, run, run. You can and will do it because you are ready mentally. And remember, the Tri is 90% mental and 50% physical. LOL. Love, Dad.

Jay said...

I give you tons respect for trying a tri. Wildflower is going to kick ass for you! Maybe we'll run into each other down there.

walchka said...

Woohoo...Glad to hear that things are going pretty well. I'll 2nd what Mike said about doing a few bricks before the race.

Oh and for traveling pack your pedals and shoes, rent a bike and you're off. Well that is if there are bikes to rent and roads to ride. :)

Unknown said...

This is a BIG week for you!!

A new niece and your first tri!


Got get 'em tiger!

Love,
LEFS

Anonymous said...

Tri training is tough! Good luck, I think you will do just fine.

omega massage chairs