Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Yes We Can!

It is always so great to come home. Really. Especially after traveling abroad.

Normally I'm glad to come home to my 24 hour Walgreens, where I can find anything I could ever imagine I might "need." I tend spend too much time in other countries figuring out what store I need to visit in order to purchase something that I all of a sudden REALLY need. (For this trip to UK what I actually REALLY needed was a needle and thread to sew a hole in my pants. I couldn't find them anywhere, so I walked around all week with a hole in my crotch...)

But today is Super Tuesday! So today, like previous days, I am glad to be back in America. But today, perhaps unlike other days, I realize that I am also really happy to be an American.

All over London, I was asked by the locals, "Who do you think will be your next President?" It was kind of crazy to realize how much impact the President of the United States has on people in other countries. If not because of US international policy, at least for conversation's sake. And it was rather insane to see a picture of an Obama rally on the front page of a London newspaper on Monday morning while I rode The Tube to the airport.

(I don't even know how often Obama has made it to the front page of the SF Chronicle! Perhaps I should read the paper more often...)

However, with this sudden re-realization that voting is awesome, I stopped by my local polling place this morning to cast my ballot in the 2008 Presidential Primary election. I proudly selected my Democratic ballot and cast my vote for Barrack Obama.

It is expected that over 8 million California voters will be casting ballots today, breaking the record turnout for a primary election established in 2000 at 7.9 million. I hope the masses get out there to vote. After spending a week abroad, I think it really is important to make the most of my citizenship in a country that can change.

"YES WE CAN!"


3 comments:

running42k said...

Great choice. I know a few Canadians that are pulling for Obama. Including me.

Anonymous said...

Nic -
Hey it's Beth. Listen, my old boss from DC and I have decided that a little grass-roots action goes a long way. So, we are now ending emails with the following:

Yes, we can-
Beth

Hope you'll join me in doing the same.

Anonymous said...

"Yes, We can." was one of the Philadelphia Phillies (baseball) season long chants the year they won the pennant. It was started by Dave Cash in the late 1970's. They won their division in 1976, 77 and 78 -- then won the World Series in 1980.