Monday, February 11, 2008

Fire Drills

Apparently there was a fire across the street from my office. Not once did I see, hear, or smell a fire anywhere; but the electricity did go out around 1PM. It flickered off and on for about an hour, and then was 100% out by 2PM.

And since all of our back-up power supplies MUST go to the servers that host our systems, we didn't have enough electricity to keep all of our computers on. Which means we couldn't work. We couldn't even work from home, because we need our computers to access our public drives. Nor could we work on our computers to access our email. Which means, we really couldn't work! At all!

-- Power Outtage : Young Professionals :: Snow Storm : School Children --

So I sent myself to the pool. Maybe I couldn't work on my documents, but that doesn't mean I couldn't work on my stroke!

I have been pretty inconsistent with my swimming the past few months. To date this year, I have only made it to the pool twice, clocking a grand total of one hour and ten minutes and a distance of 1.5 miles. So today, given my wide open afternoon and a completely empty pool, I committed to spending an hour in the water.

I had no idea how much mileage I would accrue during the hour. And truth be told, around 40 minutes when I finished my first mile, I was pretty ready to get out of there. But I stuck with it and finished 1.5 miles in 1:02.

I took lots of breaks, sure. My workout had little order, really. My goal was only to stay in the water for sixty minutes. I mostly just tried to remember what it feels like to paddle, kick, and breathe without sinking. But I did a few drills, too. Some catch-up and some 100 repeats every two minutes.

But if I keep up with sessions in the pool like that throughout all of my training, I'll be on fire come Wildflower and Escape from Alcatraz!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

are you doing the long or short course at wildflower?

rinusrunning said...

Yoe swim a lot and a long time!.And more than 1 mile is very good and good for your shape!.
Groet Rinus.
http://rinusrunning.punt.nl/