Thursday, June 01, 2006

It's the Humility

It's not the flight. It's the damn delay.
And it's not the work as much as it's the RIDICULOUS clients.
It's not the early six o'clock wake up call. It's the freaking Central Time Zone.
And it's not the meeting as much as it's the lost time spent sitting through it.

It's not the running. But it's everything else about training, at this point.
The 8 hours of sleep a night I haven't been getting the past few weeks.
The healthy meals I haven't been eating while living the life of a Road Warrior.

As for the race, which is now a little more than three days away...
It's not the 26.2 as much as the 3:40:59.
Not the distance. I know I can GO THE DISTANCE.
I just don't know if I can keep up that effing 8:24/mile average pace.

Really - it's not the heat. I can handle the heat. It's the humility that is keeping me up right now. After a 22 hour day in Chicago, exhausted as all hell, doubting that I'll even be able to pull myself out of bed tomorrow let alone complete my day at the office, on the trail, and in the laundromat before heading back to the effing airport AGAIN.

Next time, though, on my way to San Diego...

9 comments:

running42k said...

You are just getting anxious. Understandible. You are also going to ace this thing.

Brooke said...

Just think how sweet the victory will be. You can do this, you are ready and you will make it.

pookalu said...

you can do it!

we have faith!

Anne said...

We're all in your corner. And I know how much travel can suck the life out of you. This trip will be worth it though. See you at Sammy's on Saturday!

a.maria said...

i have found my friends computer and have hijacked my way onto it, to tell you to....

GET YOUR BUTT TO SAN DIEGO ALREADY!!! its amazing here! i am loving it.

i'm just about to kick out for a mini-run along Mission Bay but wanted to pop in and say, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

just as soon as you get all that life stuff outta the way, you'll realize you never had anything to worry about at all!!!

can't wait to meet you! now... hurry up and get here! (just be really careful with the laundromat thing... laundry can be very tricky, ya know!!)

Unknown said...

Good luck at San Diego.

R.E.M. Borja said...

You'll be great. The adrenaline will only help propel you to the finish line. Kick some ass!

Joe said...

I feel for you, I really do. In my previous IT job, I was a bit of a globetrotter and I can absolutely relate to your situation. Thankfully, in my current IT job, I don't have to travel and my days are mostly 9-5 (and for the a better salary too!). Keep your chin up...you'll be home eventually.

Michele said...

Good luck on your race, you can do it!