Thursday, June 08, 2006

Spinning My Wheels

Since I could walk down the hills of San Francisco today at the pace of a regular 26 year old, I decided it was time. To again don a sports bra. And a little spandex. To lace up my Asics, and pull my hair up in a ponytail. And boldly go where so many in this city go every day... THE GYM.

So I met AR at our nearest Crunch and we took a spinning class. Well, sort of. AR actively participated in the class from beginning to end. I pretty much sat on my bike and peddled with intent every now and then. I didn't sprint all out, nor did I pile on the resistance. I just wanted to get the blood flowing in my legs again. They've been feeling like dead weight since Monday evening.

But, it seems that 60 minutes on the bike also got the blood flowing to my brain, again, too. Four days without a run and I feel like I haven't had any time to just THINK.

Thursday 6:30 PM spin is a pretty good class. The instructor is hella ripped. He's also German, and since I'm pretty obsessed with accents, I can quickly get lost in his voice. So I tune out everything else, and just listen to his commands. I spend the entire class zoned out but deep in thought.

Thinking... (Position 1) About what I want to buy at the grocery store. (Position 2) Grocery store my ass. I want to go shopping at Nordstrom's. (Position 1) About whether or not I REALLY like my job. (Position 3) And about how I'm going to remedy my answer to that question. (Position 2) About my quadriceps, which are feeling a little sore right now. (Position 1) About apartments. And parking spaces. And down payments. (Position 3) About my butt. And about how it looks in my jeans. The jeans that I'm going to wear on Sunday. Oh, Sunday. I cannot WAIT for Sunday. (Position 3 - STILL) Are you effing kidding me? HURRY UP, Sunday! HURRY UP and get here! My butt is just FINE as is!

While cycling away, I also spent some time thinking about - of all things - cycling. I think I want a bike, sometimes. Yeah, it's turning into pretty much all the time. But I don't know how I feel about wearing THAT much spandex. Cyclists wear a lot of spandex... If I'm going to wear all that spandex, I'm probably going to have to get into the effing pool, at some point. Or at least back to regular weight training. Mabye I'll get a trainer? They're kind of expensive and likely not worth the money, though... But how much would I really pay for cut triceps? Hmm... Not as much as I would pay for six pack abs. OOOH! Bikram! I haven't been to Bikram in a while. I could DEFINITELY go for some Bikram. Right now. And a salad with avocado. I am hungry.

And for the rest of the class I can only think about food. But I welcome the hunger. I haven't been very hungry since the Powerade incident.

This hour on the bike has brought life back to my legs. Which is good. I'll be needing them again, very soon . And these sixty minutes of spinning have also provided me time for uninterrupted thought. My brain is coming back to life. Which is also good. 60 minutes of spinning my wheel and I'm feeling pretty damn SMART again.

And I'm getting all kinds of crazy ideas about what I want to do next...

6 comments:

Mike said...

I tried the spin bikes a couple times but always forget they don't have a free-wheel and you can't just stop pedaling while spinning along- ouch!
Active recovery is key though....
Glad to hear you are dipping into the B&J's too...life's too short to skip the good stuff!

running42k said...

I read this post and I envision a triathlon in your future. Escape from Alcatraz?

Cliff said...

There are two reasons that I bike...I get to wear spandex and shave my legs.....

You can never have enough spandex...NEVER :)..have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

way to get back out there. After my ultramarathon and my last marathon I've taken a whole year off mostly because of personal issues and/or injuries but it is good to stay active.
And, I must say I love Crunch!

Joe said...

> I'm probably going to have to
> get into the effing pool

Yes! Yes! Get in the pool! Swimming is good cross training!

jeanne said...

hey, i took spinning at a crunch gym in sf a few weeks ago! (I was bored outta my skull.) after i tried to go to bikram but they didn't have showers and i hadn't brought anything to change into...

strange coincidences!