Saturday, August 05, 2006

Livin' La Vida Loca

Buenos dias! Estoy in Madrid! En España!

Can you believe it? Two weeks ago my boss called me into her office to see how I felt about taking on a new project. I was getting a little bored again, as my other projects were under control. And since I apparently LIKE having too much to do, she noticed that when I actually have time to stop and take a coffee break, I become rather unhappy.

What else would you expect from me? I'm a marathoner! For whatever reason, I enjoy pain.

So to thwart my pending job dissatisfaction, she awarded me my first international project. OK, that's not the only reason why she gave me this project. And it's not the only reason I took it, either. But if you're going to work late at night and on weekends, well it just makes sense to put in those hours while residing in a foreign country.

So, I expedited my passport and picked it up on Monday afternoon. I had a busy week - running, spinning, and yoga-ing on top of dinners with friends and full days at the office. So on Friday afternoon I came home from work and did three loads of laundry. I packed my bags, and then went out until 4:30 a.m. with some friends. The Super Shuttle picked me up for SFO at 5:15 a.m. I boarded a plane to PHL and connected onto MAD.

I arrived this morning at 7:30 a.m.

Once through customs, I picked up some Euros, hailed a cab, and successfuly communicated where I needed to go with the cab driver. We conversed in broken Spanish while we rode to El Gran Hotel Canarias. I checked in, took a shower, and tried to go back to sleep for an hour. But I am apparently too excited. So I headed downstairs to the Desayuno Buffet before picking up an adapter for my laptop's power supply.

And here I am! Is my life not crazy?

So my kick-off meeting with the team is tomorrow. I have all day today to explore Madrid before meeting up with everyone for dinner at 9:00 p.m. (Not sure how I'm going to last that long...) Right now, I'm headed to el Museo Nacional del Prado, and I have no idea what's after that.

Deséame suerte! (Wish me luck!)

7 comments:

pookalu said...

bienvenidos! one of my favorite memories of my childhood (when i lived in spain) was visiting the prado, and seeing the works of joan miro'. it turned me into an art lover (then i majored in art history).

anyway, thanks for turning back time and reminding me of this

Brooke said...

What an amazing opportunity!! I hope you have plenty of time to enjoy your surroundings and have a great time.

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I hope you have an amazing time. Enjoy.

Habeela said...

That is so awesome! Congrats! International trips on a whim...that's my kind of job. :)

Taunya said...

I hear Spain is awesome. There's no better way to experience Europe but on your employer's dime. Have a great time and do post some pics.

running42k said...

Sounds fantastic. Enjoy the food and the scenery. Spanish wine isn't bad either

Rich said...

That's a nice little international gig! Hope you have a blast. Oh yeah, and get some work done too.