Monday, July 31, 2006

The SF Half Marathon Numbers

The results are up. And now that I've slept on it, I guess I ran a bit better than I thought I did.

Bib: 17014
Name: Nic
Gender: Female
Age: 26
Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Place Overall................................................... 523rd
Total Number of Participants....................... 3858
Percentage...................................................... Top 13.55%

Place in the Women's Division...................... 144th
Total Number of Women Participants........ 2114
Percentage...................................................... Top 6.8%

Place in the Female 20-29 Division............. 60th
Total Number of Females Aged 20-29....... 722
Percentage...................................................... Top 8.3%

Age Grade: 58.08%
Place: 444
(What the hell is this stat? Did I finish ahead of 58.08% of other 26 year olds?)

Total Time: 1:52:34
Overall Pace: 8:36/mile
(Not bad for a wicked hilly training run...)

First 7.4 Miles Time: 1:04:13
First 7.4 Miles Pace: 8:41
(Hmm, I think I ran the second part of the race faster than the first... Every 5 measily seconds/mile counts!)

So what's the consensus?

I might be too hard on myself sometimes. OK replace might with probably. And replace sometimes with most times. I have to remember that this wasn't a race. It was a training run. I didn't do a lot of running in June, mostly cross training. And throughout July, I fit in as much running as I could while I was on the road. A difficult feat, considering all of the time spent on an airplane and bopping from one time zone to the next. But my volume and intensity were definitely not where they were back in April and May.

So it is easy for me to feel a little discouraged with my running right now. I've barely been able to focus on it! How can I be happy with where I am when I'm not entirely sure I know where that even is?

Time to get out that map, I guess, and really start following the directions. Right after I admit that I did run pretty well yesterday. And right after I admit that I am pleased with that 8:36 pace. Right after I pat myself on the back, but only a couple of times.

There is still a lot of work to do!

Monday Morning:
Recovery Run ~ 3.25 EZ miles ~ Total Time: 29:49 ~Pace: 9:07/mile
Weigh Training ~ Back, Biceps, Core

Onward!

15 comments:

Cliff said...

Nic,

I read through your past posts. Ha, you woke up so late. I mean so early. Who in the world starts a race at 5:30 am?

Great race report.

As for training, note that it takes years to become good in the sports of endurance. For myself, I am looking at a 5+ year plan.

It aint' bad to be hard on yourself. The smart thing is know when to be hard and when to lighten up.

LeahC said...

i think that the age grade catagory is your age division (20-29) but including men...I think?

nice job on the race.

Anne said...

I think it must have been that jolt you got when you overslept. Great race. I smell a BQ in Chicago.

Neese said...

you are so fast :) congratulations on a great half finish!!!

a.maria said...

ok, now that i'm all caught up....

gooooooOOOOOOO NIC!!! whu-EVUH that you're not happy with that performance. woman please. you rocked it. don't even try to deny!

AND you got to run the bridge, hello!!! thats awesome.
i'd come run that next year if it weren't for all those stinkin HILLS!

you're awesome. you're my running hero. we can never run together, but i could totally bike next to you while you run. :)

anyway, congrats. i haven't been running at all much lately, mostly bike and swim and weights. i really need to get back out there. (sorry to hear about the date. but you gotta give me more than "it sucked"!!! details woman!)

Mike said...

Nic,
Those are some pretty awesome stats for a "training" run - especially over a hilly course- congrats!!
What a nutty start time though...glad you made it *barely*!

R.E.M. Borja said...

Congrats on another great run! Wow, you're amazing, and to think it's only a training run. There's nothing like being late for a race to get you moving.

Spikey1 said...

good race! oh... decided to run another marathon btw.

running42k said...

Good for you Nic. Numbers don't lie, you kicked some ass.

Brooke said...

You did a great job!! The numbers don't lie, you kicked ass.

Anonymous said...

You rock! NIce job on the race.

walchka said...

I'm not sure how I missed the fact that you were racing this weekend, but you did great. I mean you were only a minute off your PR race and this was a training run. You're gonna be fine come Oct. You'll see. :)

Unknown said...

woah, nic, that's a smokin' training run. don't be so rough on yourself. patience, young grasshopper, your speed and conditioning will come back once you get the time put back into running, and that'll happen quickly with the base you already have built.

Joe said...

Great job!

Rich said...

That's a great training run! I liked the part about being back in bed at 8:16 am.