Saturday, July 29, 2006

Before Sunrise

The gun is going to sound VERY early tomorrow morning. In fact, it is going to sound at exactly 5:30 a.m. I'm not entirely sure why this race has to start this early. Actually, if I'm going to be completely frank about it, I'm rather irritated by this obscenely early start time.

This is San Francisco! And it's July! It certainly isn't HOT here. Nope. If it's cool and foggy at 12 noon, it's certainly still cool and foggy at 7:00 a.m. And 8:00 a.m. Hours at which normal races start.

Oh, but one of the highlights of the San Francisco Marathon (and Half Marathon, which I'm running) is that you can run across the Golden Gate Bridge. Well, what the hell does that matter when you're running across is at 6:30 a.m.? We might as well be running through The Tenderloin. We're not going to be able to see our feet through the dense fog, let alone the bridge.

Complaints aside, I'm excited to run tomorrow. Because I kind of need to get back into the swing of things. So much has been going on the past two months. And it doesn't look like it's going to slow down much, either. So although it will be painful to be running at 5:30 a.m., it will be nice to cross the finish line before 7:20 a.m. And it will be really nice to get back home (to my awesome new apartment!) by 7:45 a.m. To shower and crawl back into my big, cozy bed to pass out for another hour or two by 8:00 a.m.

Yes, it will be nice to take a few hours for myself and my running tomorrow morning. Even if those hours are all before sunrise.

7 comments:

Jessica DeLine said...

Hope you enjoy(ed) your race and the view of the Golden Gate fog :)

running42k said...

A 5:30 am start. That is bizarre.

Good luck on the half.

Anonymous said...

Have fun and enjoy it despite the horribly early start. Happy running and SLEEPING.

April Anne said...

Best of Luck (a little late)! How was the race? I'm sure you did awesome.

Iron Jayhawk said...

I'd love to run across the bridge! But that start time is ridiculous. Looking forward to the race report!

Lan said...

it was fricken HOT today!

a.maria said...

WTF?!?!? you don't post for ages, then you post and i don't read it and come to find out i missed your RACE!

*grumble grumble*

NIC! jeez.