Monday, July 10, 2006

Sputtery, Sticky, Successful, and Sweet

I forget - why do people live in Florida? It's so freaking MUGGY here!

Seriously. It was suffocatingly hot and humid even before the sun rose this morning. Since I had to be at my meeting at 8:00 a.m., I had to wake up at 5:30 a.m. to complete my 2006 Chicago Marathon Training Kick-off Run. It was so muggy - and smelly - here in St. Petersburg at 6:16 a.m. this morning that after 3.25 miles I totally whimped out and took my run into the air-conditioned hotel gym. And that was after I had already taken two 30 second walk breaks...

Not so much the smooth start for which I was hoping...

Even the four miles that I ran INSIDE of the air-conditioned gym were sticky. My shorts kept riding up, exposing and chaffing The Chub Rub. Seriously, I think my Body Glide completely melted off this morning! And just LOOKING at the drops of air condense on the glass windows of the gym as I zipped along on the treadmill was enough to keep The Lungs in a heightened state of anxiety.

"Hurry up and finish this run inside," they cried. "Don't send us back out there!"

As for The Legs? Well, they cried a little bit, too. Those 3:45 half mile intervals were not as easy this morning as they were back in May. But I finished them. And now that it's over, I must say the Kick-off Run was pretty successful.

(7.25 miles of Intervals ~ 1 hour - 0 minutes - 48 seconds ~ 8:23/mile average pace...)

Sweet.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dude, the point is that you did it ON your business trip. Geez. I am so beyond impressed with your schedule that I may not be able to read your blog until November. Ok, that's a lie because I'm so impressed with your schedule that I will be compelled to read/stalk your blog daily for inspiration and motivation.

Anonymous said...

Tough workout for a "kick off" run. Great job.

Anonymous said...

You get used to to the stickiness. I barely notice it anymore. Since it's pretty much like this year around. At least here in South Florida.

Brooke said...

You did great. I'm impressed. I probably would've given up after the melting run outdoors. That's why I read your blog, you are so steadfast.

Anonymous said...

Humidity is the worst. Congrats on your first run on the schedule.

April Anne said...

Great job! It will only get easier for you!

walchka said...

Nice job Nic! The first couple rounds of intervals back after a break are a pain. Doesn't help if you bodyglide is melting. :)