Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Plug and Chug

EMI often reminds me that I have a "skill set." In fact, she frequently communicates to me how envious she is of The Skill Set. This framework of formuals that through the years, and for better or worse, I seem to have memorized. That I can call upon to get me through the day. Through a bug in the software. And over an obstacle in the design. A skill set to propel me from Washington, DC to San Francisco, CA armed only with gas money, McDonald's coupons, and a lot of maps.

Problem solving, in all its forms, is natural. I think that I was born with many of the tools with which I so frequently tinker. The others accumulated through solid investments of time, conversation, and money... But at twenty-six, they come together nicely. And most of the time, I need only to plug and chug to find whatever it is I need to find.

I imagine that The Skill Set is responsible for taking me from 3 miles in thirty minutes in 2002 to 26.2. miles in under four hours a couple years later. Right now, I sincerely hope that The Skill Set will take me through my next 26.2 in under 3:40:59.

However certainty, I have learned, is absurd. Especially in The Marathon.

But still, I have my formulas. And the list of what I can and can't control. So I'm throwing it all in there. The running and resting. The going hard and the going easy. Long and short and fast and slow. I'm completing the intervals. And I'm enjoying the cross train.

The plan is in place. Though it may not feel perfect, sometimes we have to go with it anyway. We have to plug and chug. And chug, and chug, and chug.

(Tuesday - 7.5 miles - Intervals - Crissy Field/Treadmill - 63:30 - 8:28/mile average pace)
(Wednesday - 3 miles - Recovery - Treadmill - 28:00 - 9:20/mile pace)
(Wednesday - SPIN - Cross Train - 1 hour)

Hopefully, I'm on the right track!

12 comments:

jeanne said...

I want a Skill Set, too! :) Go you!

running42k said...

Your skill set rocks. You are doing the physical fine. You also need to work on the mental. There are too many ifs in there my dear, you WILL qualify.

If I may suggest reading Thinking Body Dancing Mind by Dr. Lynch. It will do for you mentally what your training is doing for you physically.

walchka said...

I'm going to agree with both comments. Can I borrow your skill set? I know it's geared more towards triathletes, but The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training is another good one.

Cliff said...

Sometimes I don't even see myself as an athlete.

I see myself as a scientist. I am 'running' the biggest experiment ever, Ironman. I set up my procedures (training schedule), work with the resources I have (my body, bike, gears) and carefully observe and document every tests (training).

The exciting part is the anxiety and the ever what if.

Brooke said...

Now when I hear chug, chug, chug...I begin having frat party flashbacks.

a.maria said...

i'm totally stealing your comment and heading to the bookstore to take a peek at running42k's suggestion!

score.

also, i'm totally jealous that you once ran 3 mile in 30 minutes, as i seem to be having a few problems with that distance as of late.

i'll trade you that skill set for mine!!?!

OOOH OOOH. and. what's your chicago plan. i've got a wedding in st. louis that weekend (the ex. yulch.) but i REALLY want to try and find a way to get out there for sunday, so lemme know whats up!

Habeela said...

I think it's the chugging part that makes all the difference.

Spikey1 said...

Hi! Good news... Ive decided to make time for a Sept race!

Neese said...

sounds like an excellent track to me! keep it up!

Mike said...

right on track...keep it rolling...as IMMike said, base on top of base....you're only going to get faster!

Rich said...

Plan the work, work the plan. That's the consultant in you, isn't it? Looks good so far!

Unknown said...

don't discount the damage that the humidity in sd did. everyone lost a lot of fluids during the first half, and hopefully in chicago, you won't have to deal with that. you're well primed for a bq...keep up the good training!