Sunday, July 16, 2006

California Waiting

I can't tell you how happy I was to touch down at SFO last night. Nor can I tell you how happy I was to eat peanut butter out of the jar for dinner at midnight once I arrived in my apartment. I also can't tell you how happy I was to lie on my (roommate's) crappy couch and watch an episode of Entourage before climbing into my very own bed for 10 blissful hours of sleep.

I can't tell you how nice it was to sleep in a room with the window open. To feel the sixty-one degree San Francisco breeze flow through the screen, prompting me to curl up under my down comforter. How beautiful to sleep under a down comforter in the middle of JULY!

I can't tell you how fantastic it felt to lace up The Asics this morning and leave for a long run at 10:30 a.m. To breathe in and not choke on humidity. To sweat freely without it stinging The Eyes, since the droplets have time to evaporate here! And, OH, to run under that beautiful Golden Gate Bridge!

California, I am back. I am HOME. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting for so long...

Round-up:
  • Friday - 5 miles - Lake Shore Drive, but I might as well have been swimming in Lake Michigan, it was so freaking humid! - 47:30 before quitting - 9:30/mile pace - YES, it hurt. Badly.
  • Saturday - 4 miles - Treadmill, because I'm weak - 35:30 - 8:53/mile pace - Ah, Air Conditioning.
  • Sunday - 10 miles - Marina/Krissy Field/Fort Point - 1:32:30 - 9:15/mile pace - The LSD is back!

7 comments:

running42k said...

You have certainly embraced Phase 5 of your life. You are loving the SF life, no doubt.

a.maria said...

our LSD was run this week in something like 90+ degrees and 47% humidity.

the high for the next few days is something like 100 degrees, with the heat index hovering around 100 and satan.

you and california both suck.

and i'm jealous.

Brooke said...

Down comforters in July are nice. ahhh, I miss New Hampshire.

Glad your back.

pookalu said...

weather for nyc today -- 96 F. heat and UV index advisory.

nic, i really don't want to hear about window open 61 F weather.

thanks.

walchka said...

I'm sure SF missed you as much as you missed being home.

Joe said...

Don't you just love living on the West Coast? You and I are so blessed.

Anonymous said...

Nic, you are going to make them all think that ALL of California is comforter cool in July. Just 45 minutes south, I'm melting. But...there's not the humidity that you all complain of. Gotta love California even if I have been on top of the sheets and blanketless for months now.