Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Gee, Mat(h)

I graduated high school with about 900 other students. That was a SMALL class. Despite the large student body, it wasn't really a place where you just blended in. Everyone had a clique, and everyone knew everything about everyone. (Kind of like most high schools, I assume.)

I "belonged" to a few cliques. The Newtown Girls, The Cheerleaders (sigh), The Girlfriends of the Baseball Players (another sigh), and The Smart Kids (laugh, sigh). During Senior year I befriended VK, who went on to Princeton undergrad and then Harvard law school and is probably going to start running the country any minute now. He's wicked smart. And when we met, he said he already knew who I was. I apparently showed my Geometry class how to prove a very difficult triangle theorem one day sophomore year. Apparently, My Mathematical Mind was LEGENDARY. Oh, how The Smart Kids gossip!

All the calculus and engineering I endured in college aside, I should be acing the Math portion of the GMAT. Instead, I am horrified to learn that I just missed 6 out of 14 questions on a Data Analysis practice test! I am pretty effing irritated. Not with myself - like that'd ever happen - rather at ETS and the whole standardized test industry. Just read my essays. Look at my resume. Talk to my boss. Send me on The Apprentice! But please, don't make me do another Data Analysis question!

For now, I will take solace in knowing that after December 5, I will never ever again need to evaluate if I can determine if 2x is a multiple of y using the information in A, B, A & B, A or B, or not A and not B at all. I won't. Ever. Well, at least not until I have a child in seventh grade. Which at this rate, is about 20 years from now. If I'm lucky.

Oh yes, I plan on getting lucky.

7 comments:

Spikey1 said...

I hate math! Glad I don't have to do that anymore. Good luck vibes your way!

Jay said...

I took so much math in college that I don't use now. I took two quarters of imaginary numbers and three quarters of differential equations, not to mention all the math I learned for Physics. I feel stupid when I look back at what I did.

a.maria said...

hey!!!! our pics are up! i look completely ghetto!!! oy.

i love math, but being an art major left me no time for it... i took calculus my freshman year, for fun, and then never had time in my schedule to take another so.... its been a while. i can barely add 2+2.... man. GMAT's gunna blow hard for me. great. something new to worry about!

you, though, i have a feeling, will do just fine!

a.maria said...

fyi, i got my splits from my Garmin... i'm totally geeked out when i run... gps watch. i-pod... all i need now is a HRM and i'm set.

sheesh.

Danny said...

I just took my last test this year at age 31! It was kind of weird knowing there was no "next test".

(Even if it's not true, since I have to recertify in 2014. But that's pretty far away!)

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... don't forget -- when your child is doing 7th grade math, to say, "I could show you a much easier way to do this if you were older and we could use some calculus equations!" It really impresses the youngsters!!!! And in all my years of working for high tech firms, I have used Calculus exactly one time -- when I was doing a max-min problem on pricing in a competitive market ... go figure ... Are there any Sudoku questions in GMAT these days? DAD

Katie said...

Truth be told - I skipped that whole last paragraph with all those numberthingys. But I totally got your title!