Saturday, July 23, 2005

Grammar Freak

This past weekend I went to PA to see my family before taking off for California. I arrived at my parents' house on Friday afternoon. I walked into the TV room to find a large poster of the Golden Gate Bridge in front of the fireplace and a sign that read, "Good Luck Nicole in San Francisco!" The sign was making me wince. I could hardly think about San Francisco with a Direct Address in the middle of a sentence without commas blinding me from the mantle. I quickly fixed the sign so that it read, "Good Luck in San Francisco, Nicole!"

Mom laughed and didn't say a word about me correcting her grammar.
Man, she's going to miss me.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the bakery in time to edit the message on the cake Mom ordered for the party we had on Saturday afternoon. "Good Luck Nicole in San Francisco" isn't nearly as blinding when written atop a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and a depiction of the Golden Gate Bridge in an edible format. Correct grammatical usage is important, don't get me wrong. But I'm not about to skip cake and ice cream
just because of a misplaced proper noun.

Forgoing dessert is something for which I just will not stand!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I hope someone buys Eats, Shoots, and Leaves for you as a going away present!