Monday, January 21, 2008

Ready, Set, Snow!

After the season of non-snow in Tahoe last year, it is so amazing to see weather reports like this...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/snowreport/916011?from=search_vert

Saturday on the mountain was nothing but sky blue sky and a decent base of packed powder with minimal ice patches. I had a great day, navigating down many new trails at Squaw with very few falls. I tried my hardest to keep up with AER, LV, and AR. And although I never did, the fact that I could still see her ahead of me at times was an accomplishment in itself.

Sunday, only AER and I were brave enough to again head out to Squaw. Maybe brave isn't the right word. It was very cold and windy compared to Saturday. Maybe we just have low standards...

AER and I stuck together for most of the day. We started on the lower mountain at Squaw, hitting up Red Dog and Squaw Creek, mostly. AER can get in three runs for every two of mine at this point, so we'd ride the lifts together when possible and then meet up for bathroom breaks.

I was feeling pretty strong after a couple of hours, despite being hella sore from Saturday, so after a hot cocoa break for lunch, we headed to the upper mountain. I'm super proud to report that I followed AER down Siberia Bowl - my first black diamond - and only suffered a rather tiny wipe out. She was so proud. We did a few more runs before heading over to Shirley Lake, when the snow started to fall.

I have never snowboarded in the falling snow before, and I seriously cannot remember ever being so excited to see snowflakes. The end of the day was awesome. We met up with the gang and celebrated the coming snowfall with a few drinks and eats, then headed home to soak in the hot tub before we all passed out by 10:30 PM.

This is definitely how to spend your time in winter...

3 comments:

a.maria said...

OOH! OOH! OOH! ok this will show you how much i know about california, but... are you anywhere near mammoth moutain??? ani and rick and i (those are the two i stayed with for the m'thon.. i'm sure you remember them).. well, they're renting a cabin up there in february and we're having a weekend filled with snowboarding.

OMG ARE YOU ANYWHERE NEAR IT?!?! cuz if so you should totally come! i'm flying into LA on a weds, drive up to mammoth thurs, back on mon, fly out tues.

(they live in LA now. but its like a 5+ hour drive.. maybe its in your direction? i don't have a fetching clue.)

anyway. i just got excited. can you tell?

jeebus.

miss petite america said...

dude, you said hella.

you are so norcal now, chica.

rinusrunning said...

Nice the snow and enjoy.
Groet rinus.