Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Sweet Escape

Back in 2006, I admired AER's performance at the Treasure Island Triathlon so much that I faced my fears of open-water swimming and road cycling and I signed up for the Wildflower Triathlon. And on May 6, 2007 I completed the Wildflower Olympic Course in 3:10.

Then and there, I got hooked on triathlon.

But a month later, when I woke up at 3:00 AM to put her hair in double French braids and to see her off before her Escape from Alcatraz swim, cycle, and run, I became entirely envious of how amazing of a triathlete AER is. And as she came out of the water from her swim in the San Francisco Bay, I realized that I *REALLY* wanted to do THAT one day.

So I put my name in the lottery drawing a few months back. And on December 8, they picked my name. Yes..

"[I am] one of the lucky triathletes that have been selected as a winner the December 15, 2007 random drawing for a slot in the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon to be held in San Francisco on June 8, 2008...

SHIT! I didn't mean I wanted to do THAT one day so soon!!!!

But a few days ago, I finally overcame my fear of this amazing race just enough to pay my registration fee. Which means, of course, that...

"...On June 8th, [I] will get to jump off a perfectly good boat into the frigid water of the San Francisco Bay, swim with 1800 of your best friends from Alcatraz to Little Marina Green. [I] will climb out of the water and run (with or without shoes) one half mile to the transition area, jump on [my] bike and ride 18 miles (most people say that it is all up hill) and then run 8 miles (under the Golden Gate Bridge, through the sands of baker beach, up the infamous sand ladder and back to Marina Green to the finish line. What a great way to spend [my] life."

So now it is time to re-focus and get back to training. With a lot of work, it WILL be pretty sweet...

5 comments:

Donald said...

Awesome! I'm jealous. Congrats and train well.

miss petite america said...

shiza! jealous! it's fate though. you're MEANT to rock this triathlon!

running42k said...

That is excellent Nic. What an experience that will be. Congrats on winning the lottery spot. Now get out there and train girl. Just keep blogging, three posts in a row. That must be a record for you.

a.maria said...

awwww. that's on my life list of things to do. i cannot WAIT to hear all about it.

... actually...

i might have to just go SEE it too! ;)

Iron Jayhawk said...

I've heard so many awesome things about this race! I can't wait to read your report and follow your training. :)

Hills? What hills? Ain't no thang for you.