Friday, August 12, 2005

Adams Morgan: A Revival

I have one more Friday night in Adams Morgan. I know we're too old (and let's be honest, a little too pretentious) to have fun at all of these bars anymore. But do it for me. One last night on the 18th Street Strip. South of Columbia Road NW and North of Florida Avenue NW. It's a street of dreams! And we're going to make memories happen one last time...
  1. We'll meet up at SKBs house. We'll pass around some beers and start spreading the good times.
  2. We'll head out into the DC Night Air around 10PM. We'll stop in at Angry Inch for a shot. In honor of MMG, we'll request, "Hot Hot Hot" and do a conga line around the bar.
  3. We'll head down to Dan's Cafe for some LIQUA drinks. In honor of 4th of July 2003, SKB and I will purchase 3 or 4 bags of Doritos from the bar, eat them, and proceed to wipe our orange fingers on my white shirt.
  4. We'll drop by Blue Room. In honor of LEJ's 24th birthday, I'll tell everyone I'm going to the bathroom, leave the bar, purchase a Jumbo Slice, take off my shoes, run back to my old apartment, and pass out with my clothes on and an un-eaten Jumbo Slice next to my bed.
  5. We'll go to Tom Tom. We won't bitch about it. Because we were all once 23 and we all once thought Tom Tom was the best bar in DC. We'll toast to the fact that it no longer is.
  6. We'll move to Peyote Cafe. Because we are finally drunk enough to be there. We will ignore the nasty stench. JMK will sing, "The Rose." Because it is the second best Karaoke moment of my life. And then MJC will sing, "Let's Get It On." Because who doesn't want to watch him make love to the microphone pole?
  7. We'll cross the street and head for Millie and Al's. We'll realize it's a bad idea just in time.
  8. We'll stroll/stumble to Chloe. If the line isn't bad, we'll bitch about paying $5 cover. Some of you will bitch about the big deal I'm making of my last weekend in town. We'll all get over it, and we'll go in. We'll have a dance-off to all the songs I used to dance to....
  9. Or, (and more realistically) we'll stumble (and I'll definitely trip) across Columbia to Adam's Mill. We'll walk all the way up to the third floor, break a sweat, realize the bar is still crowded as shit, and we'll walk back outside to the patio where we'll buy a Miller High Life because they're out of Miller Light.
  10. After finishing our Champagne of Beers, we'll be drunk enough to go to Chief Ike's and get $6 pitchers of PBR. I will dance yet again, with very large men. You will all laugh at me.
  11. Forlorno will come out. She will start to say that she is tired and just wants to take a quick nap. ALL OF YOU will not let her. We'll head back to the 18th Strip. We'll dine on JumboSlices from Pizza Mart.
We will cab home. Heads spinning. Stomachs full. Feeling good about the night. Good times in Adams Morgan - again, one last time. Revival!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that I had no idea what the congo line and hot, hot, hot referred to basically sums up my time in Adams Morgan. I always know that the night had been amusing, yet I rarely recall what exactly occurred. Thank you for this post. Once again, I want to print it out and put it in my DC memory book (that is, if I had one).

Anonymous said...

p.s. Don't bust on Millie & Al's. What other place do you know where you can buy $1 jello shots whenever they randomly decide to light up that massive light bulb?