Thursday, August 25, 2005

"Stuck" in Sedona

We're in Sedona, AZ. And we may not leave. It's THAT gorgeous here. I know that some people would hate to wake up every day to a clear blue sky against tall red mountains with glorious sunshine and no humidity. HEG and I are not some of those people.

We kicked off the day in El Paso, in search of breakfast. We hadn't eaten since the Wendy's in Van Horn, TX the night before. We were starving, and we wanted a bagel. We stopped into a 7-11 to get coffee, but no luck in the bagel department. The cashier, who had lived in NJ for a few years, laughed at us when we asked if he knew where we could find a bagel. He said we'd better go back to the East Coast. But that wasn't an option, and we settled for Egg McMuffins. It wasn't settling, though. I love me an Egg McMuffin.

Within a few minutes of driving, we crossed the New Mexico State Line. I once (briefly) dated a guy from New Mexico while living in DC. He owned seven pairs of cowboy boots, but no sneakers. He smoked Marlboro Reds and didn't like goat cheese. All signs that we shouldn't be dating. So when it ended, I wasn't that upset. (OK, MMG, I know I initially was, but they were tears of pride. And EI - can't believe I can't remember your middle name - the break-up WAS a great excuse for a girl's night. And a great girls night it was.)

Anyway, my point is that New Mexico, like the New Mexican, are full of very helpful signs. Our favorites include:
  1. Dust Storms Possible
  2. Zero Visibility Possible
  3. Don't Stop in Travel Lanes (Just keep driving even though you won't be able to see a freaking thing...)
Luckily, we paid our dues the night before with the thunderstorm, and didn't have to experience a New Mexican dust storm. We crossed the Arizona State Line before noon, drove through Tucson, dined on Arby's for lunch, and then hit Phoenix, where we got off of I-10 to begin the journey up I-17 to Sedona.

The trip up I-17 may be my favorite stretch of highway. That is likely to change once I drive up PCH in California, but for now, it's Top Dog. Cacti line the highway, and the signs along the road are also pretty amusing.
  1. Agua Fria - Sign for a Creek - We recommend renaming the creek to Agua No Existe.
  2. Bloody Basin Road - Self explanatory, hope no one has to call that street home.
  3. Big Bug Creek - Yes, we have seen some bugs here today the size of small men.
  4. Dry Beaver Creek - Reminded us of a good college story featuring, GPSH...
545 miles later and we reached our destination. The Hilton Sedona Spa. It's pretty fantastic, too. We spent some time tanning by the pool (picked up ANOTHER extra hour today!) and took a walk around town. We had a lovely dinner - I feasted on Elk, a "regional" dish - and enjoyed some wine. Sat on our balcony and overanalyzed life, just like women always do, and then went to bed around 10:30 PM.

Of course, I'm jet lagged. Without the jet part. I woke up at 3:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time and have tossed and turned (and blogged and bloggged) all morning since then. The sun is now up, and we're going to go on a hike through the Red Rocks. I may develop a reason to never leave this place... Check out the pictures from yesterday on the Photo Blog, and you'll understand why.

BUT... Then I realize that TODAY I will arrive in CALIFORNIA! I can feel my heart beating through my chest. I have goose bumps, and I can't sit still. In fact, I need to pee. So enjoy the pics and I'll post again soon!

Today's License Plates: TX, NM, OK, IL, MT (a first for me!), AZ, OR (another first!), FL, NC, TN, NY.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nic -
Two things --
1. My parents were in Sedona yesterday too. And I think they were staying at the HIlton. RANDOM.
2. It's Martin.

You know who :)

Anonymous said...

Dad said ... I was in Arizona 3 times in one year (Jan, April and Sept.) and never got to see the dessert bloom. I also played my first round of golf as an adult in Arizona -- The Inn at the McCormack Ranch. I played the round with Don Shannon and Bob Gallagher. It was Bob's first ever time to play golf. We haven't stopped since then. I was also rained out of a round of golf in Arizona once -- go figure -- a rain out in the dessert. Shsssh!