Friday, August 19, 2005

And We're Off!

The (Last) 12 Days of DC, plus 13th Night Bonus are over...

And I'm in Richmond, VA!

We (LEF and I) woke up this morning and took a walk around Mount Pleasant, a DC neighborhood I'm sad I didn't take the time to explore earlier. We packed the car and headed to The Diner for a final Spanish Omellette. I took LEF, who is the other half of my best and longest friendship, to work.

For the record, LEF is notorious for traveling. We used to joke in high school that she wouldn't go anywhere or do anything that didn't get her another stamp on her passport. I'm moving to San Francisco for many reasons. And inspiration from LEF is definitely one of them. I don't know if I'd have the courage to go through with this move if I hadn't seen LEF take - and benefit from - similar risks.

So after a several hugs, I finally let go. She said she was proud and jealous and excited. I beamed even through the tears. And with a final wave - a wave that is all too familiar for us - and an, "I love you!" from my car, I was off.

Down 395 South, into the Mixing Bowl and onto 95 South. Struggling through my final DC traffic jam. - 100 miles in nearly 3 hours. Enjoying all the license plates... MA, VT, NY, CT, NJ, PA, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, TN, GA, FL, CO, and Diplomat.

But finally, I'm here in Richmond. Leg one of Destination San Francisco a success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... take your time when driving ... no speeding tickets ... see the sites ... take frequent breaks (your body will appreciate it) ... listen to a good book on tape ... make a memory of the trip in your mind for all time ... think {East coast good -- Left coast bad (ha ha ha)} ... Love Dad