Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Overachieving Slacker

Hump Day. Finally, it's over. I am exhausted. My first week of working remotely for Xcalibur and I think I've put in more focused effort than ever. My boss said I'm the type of person he trusts to work remotely. I am positive that being this type of person is going to kill me some day.

It's not that I'm a workaholic. It's just that I hate screwing over other people. Plus, we have this really great flex-time policy, and all the extra hours I worked today discredit the vacation time I took last week while trekking across the country. Can't beat that. It benefits my vacation balance and the company's bill-bill-bill-bill-bill philosophy. A win-win-win-win-win!

Being considerate of others is an honorable personality trait. I am proud to be this type of person. But sometimes I wish I could have picked up Carefree and Flightly from the gene pool. Flighty does peak out every now and then, actually. So I guess I did knock into Flighty during my fetal swim for chromosones. To be honest, Flighty is one of the reasons I spent so many hours working this week. And Flighty is the MAIN reason I will be removing "Proficiency in Excel" from my resume. Immediately.

I'm also so tired because I've gotten more exercise the past three days than I have the past three weeks. I got in another run today. 7 miles. This time I could have touched the Golden Gate Bridge I got so close. If I were taller, that is. I had a nice runner's high today, but that only elevates me to a perceived 5'6". Not good enough. And in moving my car 5 times today, I racked up another 90 minutes of walking. And panting. They don't call this place Nob Hill for nothing. And yes, I've pulled my left buttock muscle. (But not my left boob, Dad.)

So, to balance my overachievement at work and exercise, I just want to admit that I know I am about to fail miserably at putting a dent in the last 200 pages of Harry Potter. Yes, I'm still reading it. Yes, it is taking me over a month. Yes, I am slacking. And YES, this is SO unacceptable.

Ha ha. So true to form. I even overachieve at slacking. Now THAT is one for the resume.

2 comments:

a.maria said...

!!!! so you're finally in san fran, eh?! i looked at the pics. DAMN YOU and you're cool city. i say again.. kansas city just does not compare!

so how are the hills with the running ?! super horrible or not so bad.... (cuz i'm doing the same marathon and they have me FREAKED!)

Anonymous said...

Dad asks ... If you could re-pick some items in your gene pool -- what would you give up (I know a couple of them) and what new ones would you prefer?