Monday, March 13, 2006

Everyday People

I wouldn't say that I am necessarily running from something. And although I do have a few goals, I'm not necessarily headed anywhere in particular, either.

So I shouldn't be this frustrated when I drop a few of the balls I've been managing to juggle. (Work projects...) Or when life throws a curve ball at me. (Back-to-back business trips...) And I really shouldn't be so upset when I am dealt a grand-finale sucker punch. (Strep throat...)

Training plans are 6 months long for a reason. Because there's no way in hell anyone who isn't a professional athelelte can complete 100% of their training runs. Normal people - wait, normal people aren't endurance atheletes... OK, CRAZY people (like me, and most likely, like YOU) have crazy schedules. Demanding jobs. Committments to family and friends. Overflowing social calendars. All on top of workouts that push us to our limits.

Sure, we're crazy. And that's on top of being everyday. Eventually, the everyday will catch up with us. We won't always be able to out-pace it. No matter how many miles we run. Despite the number of cleansing breaths we exhale. It has nothing to do with the the quantity of vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, vitamins, Gatorade, or Gu we suck down.

So I'm going to go fix myself an Amoxicillin cocktail and crawl under the down comforter. And for another day, be one of the Everyday People.

There are still two and a half months until San Diego. Plenty of time to make up for two and a half weeks of overwhelming Everyday... I hope.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Nic I do help you feel better. But do tell about your plans for Switzerland. I'm so curious!!! And do you have your passport ready?

walchka said...

What endurance athletes are crazy? Well there goes that normal image I had of myself.

I hope you feel better soon and yes you've got plenty of time to train before SD.

Take care...

brent said...

rest up. i cannot stand back to back biz trips...i have one coming up and i'm dreading it. hope you feel better soon!

Mike said...

~~~~~ZAP~~~~ZAP~~~ZAP~~~ZAP~~~~
shooting some healing vibes your way- hope you are feeling better and back to your "crazy" self soon! ;-)

Brooke said...

Nic--Hope that you are feeling better soon. Are you at least getting some frequent flier miles out of all of these business trips? Also, thanks for the music suggestions, I'm going to try some out. I loved that you still listen to a song that you heard during your first marathon. I do too. I heard "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba (sp??) at my first maraton, it brings back great memories every time I hear it.
Feel better

pookalu said...

ARGH!!!!

feel better...

(tennenbaums while you're lucid, zoolander when you're not!)

Anonymous said...

oohhh bummer. get better soon. and no worries, you've got time chica!

Cliff said...

Mike,

That ain't a marathon..that's a mountain climbing expedition...

Get well soon..