Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Old Dog, New Tricks

This morning, while getting dressed in the locker room at the gym, I heard a seagull caw. And for the life of me, for a brief second, I couldn't understand why a seagull would be flying in Adams Morgan. When did I move to San Francisco?

And earlier this morning, when my alarm clock sounded at 5:55 AM, I arose feeling good about getting some extra shut-eye. When did waking up only five minutes before 6:00 AM begin to constitute sleeping in? I know I used to dread those 8:00 AM classes I had in college...

And when did 10:00 PM become so late at night? I think I stayed up later than that back in third grade.

And for the record, I know I've gone at least a month before without ingesting vegetables. So when did only getting 5 a day start to make me feel too carnivorous?

At some point, likely between the hours of 5:30 AM and 10:00 PM, 8 minute miles became a slow tempo instead of a quick speed. 12 minutes of climbing stopped making me panic. I balanced and balanced and balanced. And if I'm really going to disclose all, the scale budged - in the down direction. Not a lot, but enough.

So, here's to old dogs everywhere! May you all master something new...

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I'll drink to that..oh wait, I can't handle that the way I used to either. Great post.

pookalu said...

woohoo!

i woke up at 5:30 this morning because my dog was sleeping in the middle of the bed, with her butt butting into my back. lovely.

here's to thinking that 7:30 minute miles are slow!

Spikey1 said...

woof woof!

a.maria said...

um, diddo everything!

except the 8 minute mile thing. i'm still patting myself on the back when i get in the 10:00-10:30 range.

who am i kidding, i'm still hooping and hollering for that range!

walchka said...

Great post!

I still struggle with the early mornings myself. Sometimes 2 alarm clocks and a radio are not enough to stir my slumber. I need help. :)

Cliff said...

Sleeping till 9 am is consider as sleeping in :)

A 3 hr ride is a leisure ride. And a 1/2 marathon is a training run.

Nuts :)