Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ready Made

I'm slightly distrubed by the ease with which I was able to pack for this next trip. A five day trip used to spur packing lists. Bedroom fashion shows. The ever-important selection of CDs. And laundry. Glorious laundry!

These days, I'm mostly packed even before the trip begins. Switching toiletries from my gym bag to my suit case, I recite a short prayer to the traveling gods that the shampoo and conditioner at the hotel isn't a single, "conditioning shampoo." But if it is, I'm prepared. I pack my trusty brown claw-clip and wide-tooth comb. I now know what all of my clothes look like on my body, so the hallway/runway remains quiet. I select the suits and blouses that don't require ironing, plus 2 bras, 2 sports bras, a handful of socks, 10 pairs of underwear, 4 t-shirts and running shorts. Wilson (III) fits in the palm of my hand. My suit case zips. And I don't even have to sit on it, first.

I do enjoy the opportunity to travel. Even though the friendly skies aren't quite the same as an open-road. I still can't help feeling my innocence each time I peer out the small windows of the plane at the ground below. Those views always bring back childhood memories of Barbie-Ville and Little People Land. And I still learn quite a few things about myself every time I'm at the airport. Bags waiting. Falling apart, standing in line. Stuck together like a ready made.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Where are you this week?? Are you discovering any good running spots?

pookalu said...

there are businessperson friends of mine who take pride in how little they pack for each trip, they do it with such efficiency.

i can't do that, still. but i do love summers, when there's less bulk to pack.

enjoy whatever next trip you're on, and hope you're feeling better!

walchka said...

I'd have to say that it's a disaster zone whenever I have to pack for a trip. Maybe it's because I just don't do it enough. I should change that. I hope Boston treats you well...