Sunday, September 25, 2005

How It's Really Going

Exactly one month ago, I arrived in Caliornia. I spent the night at a club in L.A. with Paris Hilton and Wilbur Valdemera. OK, they were there, but I wasn't WITH them.

Since then I have gone to fabulous beaches. I have driven through fantastic scenery. I have walked the steepest of hills and taken amazing runs and become a regular yogi. (Almost...) I have gone to exciting parties and captured beautiful photographs. I have started to frown upon sandwiches that don't contain avocado, and I have had multiple Pizza Orgasmicas. I have found the most interesting bookstores and flower shops. I met new, interesting people. I have stood on my roof and looked at the Golden Gate Bridge and said to myself, "I did it."

When everyone from home - a region loosely defined as Boston-Richmond - called, I said I was doing well. And that I liked it here. And that it was fun. And yes, that I'm still glad I moved.

This weekend, though, I actually started to believe myself.

During our walk through the farmers market and craft fair. After purchasing the most amazing new crochet hat. While talking to homeless people. Because I bought a $3 Hershey bar to support AIDS research. While watching the curb-side dancing at the Love Parade. And while doing my own dancing to Golddigger with my roommates on Saturday night. During a lovely Sunday brunch with HBP at the Crepe House. And when I realized I had a NEW FAVORITE BRUNCH spot. And later when we just walked around all day and knew where we were going. Most of the time...

This weeknd, my apartment felt like home for the first time. And I saw the people with whom I've been living, as well as the others with whom I've spent most of my free time, as friends. New friends, but friends, nonetheless. With a smile, I identified with the old man dressed in a fluorescent yellow track suit who said, "You live in this city long enough and you start to manufacture your own sunshine."

So really. I am doing well. I like it here. Hell, I love it here. There is so much to do and it is all too much fun. I'm REALLY glad I moved.

And I posted a lot of pictures, so stop by Pics by Nic when you get a chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling and place at which to arrive - and after only a month of being in SanFran! I'm still waiting for an update on exactly what's been going on out there.....

Anonymous said...

Told you so. Haha. But, really, congrats - you deserve to love it.

Nic said...

Leave it to MMG to slip in an I told you so....

a.maria said...

hey hey!! glad to hear you're basking in the glow of your move!
quick question... did you know your roommates before you moved?! because i've often thought of moving to a new city alone...but.... there's that whole "how do you meet people" thing... so i was just wondering.

?!

(and holy %^&*@# the marathon is in like... 4 weeks.)