Saturday, September 17, 2005

Never Stop Exploring

I spent today wandering around the city. I like to believe I wantedered with purpose, which in my book, is more affectionately referred to as Exploring. Oh, I love a good exploration. I would have given good ole Lewis and Clark, not to mention Sacajaweea, a run for their (or Jefferson's tax payers) money in the exploring department.

I explored my neighborhood Staples, where I found a nice wireless keyboard and mouse to purchase in the hopes of alleviating the carpal tunnel I have developed at 25. I then explored the venues at Union Square and purchased my very first North Face fleece. Never have I ever purchased a heavy jacket - with the intention of wearing it - in the summertime. But part of living in San Francisco is being open-minded and willing to try new things. P.S., I also gave in and bought a North Face Nalgene bottle. I couldn't help it. We need to stay hydrated and it was RED. I love red.

Next, I explored Chinatown and almost bought one of those little license plates with my name on it that you are supposed to put on your bicycle. And by bicylce, I mean tricycle, because anyone over the age of 7 who rides around on a vehicle operated by pedals with a license plate that has their name on it most definitely gets their ass kicked on the playground. It was an old school California plate, though. And it had MY name on it. I know there is something symbolic in that license plate. I will go back and bring her home one day... maybe tomorrow.

I ended the day's exploring with a walk around North Beach. North Beach, like the rest of San Francisco, is quite a cultural enigma. Who knew the Italians and Chinese could live in such perfect harmony? One side of the street boasts dead ducks glazed in sweet and sour sauce, the other dangles sausage and mozzarella. Even more exciting, amidst all the MSG and transfat, I stumbled upon City Lights, my new favorite bookstore.

The day is over, but the exploration is just beginning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nic - You'll have to explore Union Street also. Go there on a weekend and walk down the many blocks of great boutiques and delicious places to eat, among a few movie theaters and a great view of SF and the golden gate.

Also if you want to go out, Ruby Skye was a favorite of mine. That was about 5 years ago now - lol. I haven't lived in the US since.

Here's another great hint. Just start talking to people. At first this might sound like an odd thing to do, but everybody who wants the inside scoop on stuff chats with other people. Ask them about places you want to go to. It can help you get to know the city a lot faster.