Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Run Shit

I worked hard on this resume objective:

I am a focused, career-minded individual in search of an increasingly challenging work environment. I am seeking a position as a Senior Business Systems Analyst / Product Manager creating new software and information technology products. I am an innovative thinker and results-oriented leader with solid judgment, excellent analytical and communication skills, and an unparalleled commitment to success.


Not a single word is a lie. I can back-up my statements with personal examples, project documentation, and even references. I honestly do want to be a "Senior Business Systems Analyst / Product Manager." If that's the title someone wants to give me, I know I can enjoy myself fulfilling that job description and all related responsibilities. However, I just don't need that many words to describe what my true career aspiration is.

RUN SHIT.

I want to run shit. Almost any kind of shit will do, as long as I'm in charge of designing, developing, deploying, and marketing it. And obviously reaping some benefits (profits) of it.

I've been running shit my whole life, to be honest. I couldn't just BE on the soccer team. I was a midfielder/Captain telling everyone where to pass the ball and when to hurry the hell up and get back on defense. I was the leader of the dance troupe. I was always placed in the front line, and before every performance I gave a very unique pep talk to get everyone to focus. And I couldn't just be a "member" of my sorority. I had to "mother" the house as well as the pledges. And in my spare time I built them a website.

I'm a born leader!

It's kind of nauseating, isn't it?

But here I am, 2,807 miles from my place of employment. The past few weeks, I have begun my days at 7AM PDT to keep up with the East Coast. Sometimes I haven't signed off until after midnight... PDT. I maintain at least 3 IM windows at a time, respond to never ending email threads, and participate in 4 hour conference calls. I worship the inventor of Bluetooth. And even though I don't pay it, I fear my cell phone bill.

My wrists hurt and I am seriously going blind.
But I can't remember the last time I've loved my job so much. I'm tired and cranky and inspired and energized. FINALLY, hard work is paying off. (If only I could REALLY clarify that.) The clients are happy. The users are happy. The developers don't hate me. That much.

I'm close to running on empty. But I'm running shit. And it's THE SHIT. It's totally the shit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Nic,

Do you have a thread about your job? I'd love to hear a bit more. Is it your own company and on the east coast? Do tell...

And thanks for stopping by my blog. :-) I'll add you to my reads category.

Sorry about your lack of runs lately. I guess we get into a slump these days. And with the air getting cooler, I'm not so motivated as much either. Well the good news for me is that we are having a hot weekend. Enjoy your winter in SF. You will love it! It will stay in the 60's for you and be so enviable for people back east!

- Jen

Anonymous said...

Eisenhower said "Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Maybe that whole trash situation makes more sense now. :-)

The Deaner

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... it's a damn good thing that you were born the oldest -- or you wouldn't have all these leadership ambitions and skills... I think you should aspire to a new title ... Director of Run Shit ... And, isn't it amazing how what appears to be just an ordinary event in your early life -- turns out to be actual career-training for the rest of your life -- be it ... mid-fielder, dance line captain, 1st born, PITA, etc. Who can guess what PITA means? You get $1.00 if you are the first!

Nic said...

PITA - Pain in the Ass. Just trying to spice up that parenting job. It was fun for me.

Thanks, Dad.