Monday, April 17, 2006

Bean with Envy

The winner of today's Boston Marathon finished in two hours, seven minutes and 14 seconds. Three years ago, it took me about that long to run HALF of a marathon. Now, though, I can easily run 14 miles in that time. And I can probably run 15 miles in that time. And if I'm racing, I'd like to think I can also complete 16 miles in that time.

Throughout the past three years, I have certainly become a faster runner. But I have also become a smarter runner. A lighter on my feet runner. A runner who is more optimistic. More dedicated, and more happy. In the three years since my first half marathon, I've become a better runner.

But this year, I've started to think that I'm not just a BETTER runner. What if I'm a GOOD runner?

With only one way to find out, I've started thinking. These days, I spend a lot of time wishing, and hoping, and planning - not to mention training - for the Boston Marathon. I think about running Boston on Friday nights, when I opt out of bar hopping to go to bed early. And early on Saturday mornings, when the alarm goes off before most of San Francisco has woken up. Later on Saturday mornings, when I start out on a long run, trying to settle into a comfortable rhythm.

I think about Boston at mile 14 of a 20 mile training run. When most of the group peels off and heads home. When I'm kind of hungry and tired. And when I think about how respectable 14 miles before 10:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning is. When I think that 20 miles is a little - or a lot - ridiculous. I think about Boston when I make that choice to continue on to miles 15, through 19. And I think about Boston again at mile 19.5, when I feel FANTASTIC. When I decide to sprint the last half mile.

I think about Boston a lot. And every time, be it on the road, treadmill, or couch, I think about how my little goal to run a marathon "one day" turned into somewhat of a hobby. Something I did in my spare time. For fun. A hobby that later turned into a passion and a way of life. I think about Boston when I realize that these days, I don't just aim to finish a training run. I aim to finish strong. Happy and smiling.

Today, when I thought about Boston, I was a bit of a green-eyed monster. A loving, admiring, respectful monster. Green with envy over all those amazing runners who braved The Marathon in Beantown today.

Great job, runners. I hope you had the time of your life on the course today. And I hope to see you there next year.

9 comments:

walchka said...

You'll be there next year and then it will be your time to shine...

running42k said...

Great title for the entry. You will get there.

Brooke said...

You sprinted the last half mile of a 20-miler?? Now I'm green with envy.

Spikey1 said...

I ran the Boston Marathon 9 years ago yesterday. It was the toughest marathon I have ever run. Not physically, emotionally. I think in my finishing picture you can see the tears in my eyes. It was the best feeling in the world. I hope you can experience that one day. Cheers.

Cliff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cliff said...

Cherish this moment.

It is an amazing feeling from hoping to planning. From planning to training. From training to accomplishing.

R.E.M. Borja said...

I was tracking our three coaches who ran yesterday--they did great--and as I did it I began to realize that I want to run Boston some day as a qualifier. It hasn't been a goal of mine, but yesterday I recognized the urge to push myself to be better than I think I am. I think that's what Boston represents.

I can see you qualifying very, very soon. You're not that far away from the qualifying time!

Mike said...

Nic- great post. I have no doubts that you'll be at the start line in Hopkinton in the very near future. It's all about the passion and you are definitely not lacking in that dept!

Joe said...

It sounds like you WILL make your dream come true soon!