Monday, April 10, 2006

Manic Monday

My first - CASSETTE - growing up was The Bangles, "Different Light." I used to play it on a pink boom box that didn't have a rewind button. Play, Stop, and Fast Forward only. Much to my dismay, no doubt. The year was 1986, I was six years old, and I was officially OBSESSED with my first songs and my first band.

Without a repeat function, nevertheless a rewind button, Dad made me Different Light #2. Walk Like an Egyptian was moved up to the first spot on the tape. Followed by Manic Monday, a couple of songs, Walk Like an Egyptian, a couple of songs, Manic Monday, a couple of songs, etc. With this setup, I could utilize my fast forward button to listen to the songs as much as possible while I choreographed new and improved MTV videos for the Bangles and held live performances from either the TV Room firelplace or a bench in the basement. (I was Suzanne, obviously.)

Back in 1986, my budding music enthusiast self did not know the definition of the word manic. Nor did I truly grasp the meaning of my favorite line in the song, "
He tells me in his bedroom voice... C'mon honey, let's go make some noise!" However, at six years old, I believed in Manic Monday. How could you NOT believe in anything The Bangles sang in 1986? But oh, the Manic Monday. I was convinced that I wanted to have Manic Mondays when I was older. You know, like second grade older.

Now that I actually understand the lyrics, I realize my 1986 dreams, clad in pairs of slouch socks, side ponytails, and Keds, have come true. For now I really have Manic Mondays. And Sunday Fundays. Which, if we're going to talk training, also fall into the category of "I don't have to Rundays." But on Mondays, as well as othe weekdays, I have to be at work by nine. "And if I had an air-o-plane," well... you know. I'd still get there at 9:15 every day.


So in honor and denial of Mondays, I have decided to start doing my Yasso workouts on Monday mornings. Today I completed 7x800 repeats @ 7:20/mile pace with 800 recoveries at 9:15 pace for a total of 58:30. Because why NOT kick of a Manic Monday with some Manic Running? Run fast - Recover - Run fast - recover... It sure preps me for my day, anyway: Work hard - sit and stare in denial - Work hard - sit and stare in denial...

Yep... Just another Manic Monday.

9 comments:

running42k said...

Awesome workout Nic. You have to feel good after those. (tired, but good)

krys said...

ah, but if you truely had manic mondays, then you would remember that they also pined for sundays, their "i don't have to run-days", which clearly is not the case for all you crazy marathon type folks :)

pookalu said...

thanks a lot for putting that song in my head.

but my first cassette -- i believe was 10,000 maniacs (in my tribe). the first cassette i used to steal from my sister, i think was the police. (i still have a crush on sting.)

Brooke said...

My first cassette was Bananarama--"It's a Cruel..cruel summer." I loved it. I thing we had the same tape player. I used to have to flip over the cassette, fast forward and flip it back over to see if I was at the beginning of the song again. Ahh, those were the days.

Spikey1 said...

Cassette?? How about 8 track! Eeeek. Im old.

(Ankle still f-d up over here) :(

Habeela said...

Walk Like an Egyptian! Awww..the memories! Sounds like a wicked run.

walchka said...

800 repeats first thing in the morning you are crazy, but all in a good way. I mean that's one way to jump-start your week. Nice job!

Mike said...

The Bangles and cassette tapes...definitely a blast from the past!
Yassos + morning. I can't think of a worse combo! ;-)
Seriously, great job on the Yassos-consistency is key and you are in the zone!

Unknown said...

Yasso's on a Monday, nice job. Thanks for putting that song in my head for the rest of the day.