Friday, April 14, 2006

Kicking and Screaming

Why is a twenty miler so much more nerve racking than the actual marathon?

Is it because there won't be fans cheering me on at mile 19.5? Or is it because there won't be anyone waiting for me at the finish line? Is it just because there isn't an actual finish line? Maybe training runs are so much harder than the actual race because in between the training runs, I somehow have to squeeze in my day job. Not to mention grocery shopping. And cooking. And laundry. (And when you're training like this, there is SO MUCH LAUNDRY.)

Come to think of it, I've run more marathons than twenty mile training runs. That could be another reason why I'm so uncomfortable tonight.

Plus, The Legs are tired. And that is not alleviating this looming apprehension. Not one bit. The Legs are tingling, sort of. They feel a little heavy, and kind of warm.

Do you hear that, Legs? I really KNOW you're tired. Honest. But you can do it.

You can push through tomorrow. Push! For twenty miles. Yep, twenty miles. I know we've already ran 25 miles this week, but how much FUN did you have running those miles? We can re-live almost ALL that fun again tomorrow morning. For twenty miles tomorrow we can stride and dash and gallop. We can scamper up hills and then scuttle back down them. Because this is San Francisco, Legs - there will be hills. We can jog, or we can sprint, or we can trot. Hell, we can even SKIP if it makes us happy. We can kick and scream, too, as long as we're moving forward.

One step at a time. One mile at a time.

We will finish tomorrow. And we will finish strong.

Kicking and screaming, for joy.

11 comments:

Mike said...

Aaaah, here's to pushing the envelope- makes you feel alive doesn't it?
Kick ass tomorrow Nic!

Cliff said...

Have fun Nic...even if u have to kick and scream...

Habeela said...

Here's to hoping you get out there and find 20 miles feels like 2.

Had that same apprehension on my swim yesterday and when it was all I felt I'd never gotten in and swam extra laps.

We want a full report!

Brooke said...

Good luck Nic!! You can do it.

Unknown said...

Self preparation is what its all about. I hope the pep talk got you through it.

R.E.M. Borja said...

It sounds like you're going through the same thing I was for my 20 miler. It's also probably because we're thinking that the run will be a gauge of how well we'll be able to do the actual marathon. But you're right, training runs are so much tougher than the actual race.

I hope it goes well!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Hope your 20 went well!

Spikey1 said...

jdYou can borrow my legs if you want seeing as mine are no longer needed. Hope it went well dude.

a.maria said...

i've been in-cahoots with a guy that runs with/for/coaches (little unclear) the BAA and he's given me this outrageous 4 week training program...

i looked at all my mileage and almost passed out... then thought of you, running even MORE... and i felt a little better! ;)

hope those 20 miles flew by. i've got 18 this coming weekend. its monday and i'm already obsessing over it.

ooooh good times.

i seriously can't wait for june!

brent said...

how'd it go??!!!

Anonymous said...

I will be cheering you on at the finish line... well, maybe at mile 19.5!

Love you,

Quitter