Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Seven Stages of Marathon

I have an Adidas ad from a few years ago hanging on my wall. It reads...

The Seven Stages of Marathon:
  1. Ritual
  2. Shock
  3. Denial
  4. Isolation
  5. Despair
  6. Affirmation
  7. Renewal
I woke up before the alarm this morning. Again. (#1) I thought I had a nice, short recovery run on the schedule for this weekend. Much to my surprise/#2, it was a *recovery* 16 miler. DOLT! I did NOT want to run this morning. Definitely in #3 of the race that will take place a mere eight weeks from now.

But I went. Met up with the Road Runners and felt OK for most of the run. Although I didn't really want to talk to anyone, today. I ran ahead of the pack for a while, avoiding conversation. I just wanted to get those miles done so I could go home and take a nap.

I have never hit the wall before. Before today, that is. At 13 miles, nonetheless. Struggling to keep up with the pack, I told them to go ahead without me. #4. For three very brutal miles. Alone, and full of #5, I couldn't shake my inner defeatist: I'm NEVER going to qualify for Boston at this rate. NEVER.

Post run, a good breakfast. And a few hours on the couch. A conversation with my dad. And an hour on the phone with New Orleans. I again look at this Adidas ad - which was for the 107th Annual Boston Marathon in 2003 - and sheepishly grin from the realization that I placed this ad on my refrigerator back in 2003 when I was training for my very first marathon. Back when I wasn't sure I'd be able to run 26.2 miles at all.

I obviously did achieve that goal. So why not this next one? Why shouldn't I be able to not only run another 26.2, but run it in 3 hours and 40 seconds? Why NOT?

I WILL QUALIFY FOR BOSTON. (
#6)

So, time for a quick cat nap. Because I do have a bit of a headache. And my eyes are heavy. And when I open them again, it will be #7 all the way.


4 comments:

walchka said...

You are going to qualify for Boston! I have no doubts. You’re not the type of person to be denied.

Hitting the wall is the worse. It’s happened to me twice and it was awful. I’d rather not experience that again. I know you’ll shake it off come back even stronger.

Mike said...

Cool post- I remember that adi campaign.
I'm real familiar with #5 during the latter stages of a mary-ouch!
Don't sweat the days that you struggle...they make the good days all the sweeter.
No doubts either- you are doing great. *Believe*

Habeela said...

Great post! At first I thought you were listing the stages of grief but no...it's much more positive than that! :)

a.maria said...

oooooh! me likey long time. i need a poster.

no, i need that poster.

its doubtful i can get that poster though... hmm.

screw it. i'm a graphic friggin designer, i'll MAKE the poster.

love it. thanks for that.

as for boston, its a formidable goal, but one that i have no doubt you'll conquer.

and like this wise woman i once (never) met (but will soon) said... as for goals.. "...there are big ones and small ones and the small ones all add up to the big ones eventually."

you'll get there.

an hour and 20 minutes before me even! ;)