Saturday, April 22, 2006

Head in the Clouds

This past week, which was supposed to be a recovery week, ended up being a week of negligence. I have been unaware, inattentive, and spacey. It was a week of ignorance.

In other words, it was pure bliss!

Save the cold, of course. My head has been clogged for a few days now. And it's been pounding. Not that it was much better before the cold set in. Wracked with my terrible attitude about this *race* that is only 42 days away now.

So, I just stopped. I haven't run since Wednesday. Thursday, Friday, Saturday... NOTHING. Today, I eased back into physical activity with a hike at Pinnacles National Monument, about two hours south of San Francisco. We hiked to North Chalone Peak, covering about 9 miles and an elevation change of 2500+ ft.

At the top of the summit today, I thought about how good it will to get back to training this upcoming week. Only six weeks left! Amazing what I was able to figure out with my head up in the clouds... instead of up my ass, right?!

7 comments:

Jay said...

Pinnacles is awesome! I went there a couple of years ago. There's a rock formation over there that looks like Jabba the Hutt.

walchka said...

It sounds like a little time off was exactly what you needed. Now you’re ready to rock!

pookalu said...

i like the new template!

and i think we all deserve a break once in a while (especially when you're sick!).

a.maria said...

whoooooooooooooa new blog layout. you should warn a girl before you do that, i about freaked that your link was all jacked!!!!!

however... me gusta!! lovin the new look.

anyway, i'm with walchka.. sounds like getting away and doing something else active (hello, hiking? man i'm jealous!) was just what you needed to get you back on track.

Brooke said...

Hey if you need a break, you take a break. I'm glad to see your not being too hard on yourself about it. I love the new look

Mike said...

We're not wired to be "on" 100% of the time right? I'm sure the break will do wonders for your attitude...and fresh legs for your runs this week- bring it!

Joe said...

Time off is good! It will heal any little nagging injuries that you have. I'm sure you've earned a little break.