Saturday, May 13, 2006

30 Gallon Tank

There aren't many words to the song. Actually, it's just one verse. Sort of. With a lot of repetition. It is so simple, and yet entirely overwhelming and complex.

Isn't that just like running? Very few words are required to describe the anatomy of my running. Right, left. Fast, slow. Long, short. Medium, too, I guess. And yet running is no where near as simple as this short list of words would lead one to assume. Running - and marathoning in particular - is entirely overwhelming and complex.

Just like this song. When I listen to it, I don't know if I'm invigorated or scared. But I am pulled. With each "c'mon" I am pulled. And when I hear this song, I can't fight the pull.

And on Saturday morning, I had to sing this song to myself. I needed to hear this song. Because I had to finish twenty-two miles Saturday morning. And I had to believe that I was a thirty gallon tank to do it. Up that long ass hill at mile 8. And 10. And at mile 12 when I was having some physical problems. At mile 14 when I was having some logistical problems, and at mile 17 when I was again having more physical problems. And especially at mile 20 when there was one more long, steep, hard hill. When my legs were soft and my mind was weak.

But I finished. By telling myself that I was a 30 gallon tank. Because 22 miles is nothing for the endurance reserve housed within a 30 gallon tank.

3 hours. 25 minutes. 22 miles.

- "30 Gallon Tank" by Spoon. From the album, A Series of Sneaks.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Nice going on the 22 miler!

Brooke said...

I always have to go look up these songs after you post about them.

Great job on the 22 miles. Good for you.

a.maria said...

wow. very well done woman! you're SMOKIN' fast!

walchka said...

Congrats on getting through your last long run before SD. 22 miles, plus hills. SD is not going to know what hit it...

Mike said...

I am still suffering from muzak withdrawals during runs with the death of my shuffle. I just got a nano replacement but too busy to get her "run-ready"..I swear we need more hours in the day!

Great job on the 22! I always love checking off the last long run pre-race. Taper and absorb all that fitness- it's PR time!