Sunday, May 07, 2006

Personal Investments

Being thousands of miles apart, we have to devise other ways to stay connected. And invested, in all that what we're both doing.

She sends me emails asking me to PLEASE hurry up and post again. And sometimes, our telephone conversations remind me of the small Discussion Sections for those really big lecture classes we took in college. Because she is prepared. Equipped, even. When we talk, I envision her lying on her bed, laptop open, notebook in hand, chewing on a pen with a highlighter behind her ear. Ready to analyze, she submits requests: "Can we discuss what you wrote on Tuesday?"

The latest is my favorite, though. And I'm sorry, AFS, but I am just so touched by this one that I have to share.

----------------
Hi Nic!

How are you... hey, is there a link on your blog to your training schedule that week? For some reason I think that would be interesting, too. I really like numbers and time (a pretty unwellknown fact, I think), and would like to see how you do. And I feel invested in your goal of Boston.

Thanks!
----------------

No signature. It kind of feels like she she's just asking me pass her the ketchup. And that's what's so great about AFS. She can make you feel so important. Without all the hoopla.

And so, AFS, I have posted my training for you, below. I follow a program that I found on Nike.com. I can't export what I've logged for the first 20 weeks of this program for you to see. (Hey, Mike, wanna talk to the developes about adding that feature? Hee hee.) But I will tell you how I do each day moving forward for the rest of my training. There are only 120 miles until the big day.

Anyway, I am so lucky to have you invested in this goal, and in me. It makes me "... [feel] so good, like anything [is] possible." I can practically feel you squeezing my hand in support right now. And I know I'll feel it on the course. It really is much easier to run after your dreams when you know that someone like you is running along right behind me. I am sure I will feel you throughout all 26.2 miles on June 4.

- "Runnin' Down a Dream" by Tom Petty. From the album, Full Moon Fever.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

It's nice to have someone invested in your progress. Keep up the great work.